SERIAL NUMBER ON LAST STUDEBAKER IN 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERIAL NUMBER ON LAST STUDEBAKER IN 1966

Could any one tell me what the serial number was on the last Lark that rolled out of the Canada assembly line was[?] Im trying to timeline my 1966 Commander 283 AT 4dr and 1966 Commander 194 3speed 4dr. The AT car production of 1030 and the 3spd car at 473, does this sound correct?
    Tom
    sigpic

I did a search and found this one with a lot of info about the car, but no serial number, I know it's out there on one of them! [^]

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1

Could any one tell me what the serial number was on the last Lark that rolled out of the Canada assembly line was[?] Im trying to timeline my 1966 Commander 283 AT 4dr and 1966 Commander 194 3speed 4dr. The AT car production of 1030 and the 3spd car at 473, does this sound correct?
      Tom
      If you are trying to "timeline", I think that you would be better off getting the build sheets for your cars from the SNM. This will give you the build dates and you can compare them to March 1966.
      I believe that V8s and sixes had a different set/series of serial numbers still in 1966.
      If the numbers that you give are body numbers, they are fairly close to the begining of production, not the end. There were 5686 four door sedans made for 1966.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The AT car production of 1030 and the 3spd car at 473, does this sound correct?
        Are those the body number tags on the firewall? I have a late '66 Commander with body number 8892. Going by that, yours would be earlier production cars.

Craig

Comment

If they ARE body numbers (the little tags on the firewall - just below the heater air filter), they aren't going to mean much to line sequence. "Close", one might argue, but hardly accurate.

The number you need to establish a production date (by submitting said number to the museum for a copy of the production order) is on the stainless steel tag that's mounted to the door jamb - between the hinges on the driver's side. Goona start with a "C".

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

C534654. It is a Timberline Turquoise Cruiser and resides at the Studebaker National Museum. It was built on March 17, 1966.

Mark Anderson
            Member SDC and FMCA
            Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Actually this was two question, sorry! #1, total production numbers of my models- V8 AT car 1030 and 6cyl 3spd car 473. Just wondering about the numbers found on www.Automotivehistoryonline.com. #2 was just where my cars fell in line of production for 1966. The serial numbers are C533968 on the V8 car and C133139 on the 6cyl. The 1966 Daytona I have is C533087. Has any one thought of a registor for cars by production year such as the Golden Hawk and the R-motor Larks have? It would be real interesting to how few have survived.
              sigpic

Comment

The serial numbers are C533968 on the V8 car and C133139 on the 6cyl.
                My one '66 Commander is serial number C133783 and was built on February 14th, 1966. Yours is only 644 six cylinder units built before mine was, so I would suspect it was built in the first week of February, 1966.

Craig

Comment

Per Fred Fox's article on '66's in the Oct. '86 Turning Wheels, the last six-cylinder car built was serial C134293, an Olive Green Metallic Wagonaire. It was the last Studebaker sold through a dealership--Tothill Auto Sales in Lockport, NY.

In Jan. '66, per Fred's article, taillight housings were changed from painted to chrome. This is a good way to gauge where in the production run a '66 was.

Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                  '64 Daytona Hardtop
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

The 66 cruiser that I am getting ready to go to New Zealand has vin. C531455.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                    canbstudebakers-

]
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

For what its worth I just picked up C533036. A 4dr V8/auto p/s p/db.Its a gold or brown very stright solid need some tlc to get back on road.

Comment

Mine is wth the chrome taillamps
                        sigpic

Comment

My 66 is C534246 built 2/18/66. If memory is correct, the last Stude was 409 (?) numbers higher. Remember too, 6 cylinder vin's were in a different sequence, but the last one was a V-8.

60 Lark convertible
                          61 Champ
                          62 Daytona convertible
                          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2)
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Just found this website http://www.65cruiser.com/Registry/Registry_Details.htm

There I found this post:

C534654 - This was the last Studebaker produced and is in the care of the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana. It was built on March 17, 1966.

60 Lark convertible
                            61 Champ
                            62 Daytona convertible
                            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2)
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes i have seen that web site and the museum car.Now anyone out there want to start up a registry for all 1966 car? It wouldnt be an exact science but cool to what has survived.
                              Tom
                              PS Ill be ordering the build sheet after Labor Day
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X