glass top in 52 hdtp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass top in 52 hdtp

Have any of you out there heard of or know of a run of 500 1952 Stude hdtps with a glass top similar to those in the 54 Ford/Mercs???
    I have a 52 Hdtp with that type of a glass top in it. It is a little smaller than the 54 Ford/Mercs, probably 2" narower on each side and about 3" shorter in the front. The glass (plexiglass?) is dark brown tinted, it is rubber gasketed all around and is trimmed with stainless trim inside and out!!! It looks like it could be a factory job. The car is in need of total restoration and the gasket around the glass has shrunk. The countour of the glass matches the contour of the rest of the roof perfectly. When I got the car a couple of years ago, I recieved an email that said it was one of 500 produced by Studebaker in 1952?? I am fairly knowlegeable of Studes from the early to late 50's and have done some research but have found nothing to substantiate that. But I also know that I definetly do not know everything!! So, I thought I would put this out there to you knowlegeable, astute people in Studeland and see if you can help me solve my dilema.

Never heard of this myself but sure would like to see pictures... as would just about everyone else who will read/answer/comment on this thread. I'll be happy to post pics for you if you'd rather not... feel free to let me know off-forum by clicking on the underlined JGK 940 to the left of this message and clicking "Click to send an E-MAIL."

Mahalo

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

(wording)

Comment

Get the production order for the car and see what it says. It should have something about it on there.

I am curious, as well.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by trimpol

Have any of you out there heard of or know of a run of 500 1952 Stude hdtps with a glass top similar to those in the 54 Ford/Mercs???
        I have a 52 Hdtp with that type of a glass top in it. It is a little smaller than the 54 Ford/Mercs, probably 2" narower on each side and about 3" shorter in the front. The glass (plexiglass?) is dark brown tinted, it is rubber gasketed all around and is trimmed with stainless trim inside and out!!! It looks like it could be a factory job. The car is in need of total restoration and the gasket around the glass has shrunk. The countour of the glass matches the contour of the rest of the roof perfectly. When I got the car a couple of years ago, I recieved an email that said it was one of 500 produced by Studebaker in 1952?? I am fairly knowlegeable of Studes from the early to late 50's and have done some research but have found nothing to substantiate that. But I also know that I definetly do not know everything!! So, I thought I would put this out there to you knowlegeable, astute people in Studeland and see if you can help me solve my dilema.
        Does it look like this one below?

If so, there is a thread about it from about a year ago here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=21615

This car was built years ago by a SDC member, and there were two articles in Turning Wheels about it.

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

trimpol - I don't know everything either, but I keep a registry on the 52 hardtops and try to stay in the know on them. I've never heard about any factory glass topped models. Nothing was ever mentioned in the TW articles that have covered the 52 k body as I recall.

We want a picture! And I personally want more than that, email me your serial and body number and tell me about your car. I'll add you to studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

I've never heard of one either. 500 special cars would have been a very large order for Studebaker and more should be around. The production order will tell the tale. Who knows, it could be a genuine prototype or it might be something an engineer put together for his personal use. Most likely it was a custom job done by someone with talent.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
            "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Seems to me I've seen that white 52 with the glass top in TWs many years ago,looks to me like the top and the side trim is from a ford,55,56??? kinda looks nice on the Studebaker.

Joseph R. Zeiger
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

the side trim is from a 55 ford fairlane crown victoria,the glass roof looks like a 54 ford or mercury. the mercury was called sun valley,very rare.the 55-56 used all new bodies but the 54's were the same from 1952-1954,except for the frame,54 was the first year for the y-block(239 and 256) so had a different frame, flat head had rear sump and y-block had front oil sump.

the taillights look like 62 mercury lights

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

Working...
                X