Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck part number, please

Need the part numbers for the cast two-piece hood insert (S-T-U-D-E
    B-A-K-E-R) used on '57 (and up) Transtar trucks (and others, I know, I'm not an expert and don't have a parts book.) Came in Chrome or Painted, right?

Thanks.

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Painted
    1654120X93 "stude"
    1654121X93 "baker"

Chrome
    1654120W "stude"
    1654121W "baker"

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Thank you, thank you, Jeff.

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Comment

FYI - The painted hood insert was a different color depending on the year and options on the truck. Of course, after '59, all of them were originally paited white.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island Chapter
        http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

You're welcome Kurt.

Mark, my 57-61 parts book just gives those two numbers, it doesn't say anything about color. Was the color something applied later like other body parts?

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

With Stude parts, the "W" suffix indicates chrome plated. If it was "P", that indicates primered. "V" indicates gold-tinted. An "X" followed by a digit or two, indicates a certain finished color. And there's even parts carrying a combination of two of these, such as WP, if applicable. There ARE many instances where plated or tinted parts don't have a suffix number as you'd assume they should, but hey - that's Studebaker for ya.[B)]

Edit: In the instance of these painted emblems - there were only white ones as far as painted ones go, so there was no need to annotate them further than showing (with the W) that one of them was chrome plated. I think it's safe to assume that the "X93" indicates White.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JeffDeWitt

Mark, my 57-61 parts book just gives those two numbers, it doesn't say anything about color. Was the color something applied later like other body parts?

Jeff DeWitt
              Jeff - Fred Fox's articles in TW on the various models of Studebaker trucks is where I first learned of the differing colors that were used on those nose pieces for different years of Transtars.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

When I restored my Transtar SASCO had the NOS "STUDE",but not the "BAKER".

Comment

I erred in saying the P ones were white. I was thinking of some other stuff I recently ordered.

Mark, I'd like to know where you saw Fred noting that different trucks had different colors of those nameplates. It doesn't seem illogical, but the only two numbers given from '56 thru '64 are those that Jeff came up with. I'm certain the X93s were white, and the Ws chromed. Maybe for painted replacement parts, white was all that was carried.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Mark, I'd like to know where you saw Fred noting that different trucks had different colors of those nameplates. It doesn't seem illogical, but the only two numbers given from '56 thru '64 are those that Jeff came up with. I'm certain the X93s were white, and the Ws chromed. Maybe for painted replacement parts, white was all that was carried.
                    Bob, I am not at home and cannot scan and display the material... however, I do remember from reading the articles in TW Dec. 1995 & Jan. 1996 that the 57's had beige nameplates (if they were not chromed) and the 58's had white ones (if they were not chromed). I also think there was some reference to the 2 tone trucks having the nameplate painted the lower body color (if not chromed), but I'm not positive. I cannot remember what was done for the 59's, but the 60 - 64 C-Cabs all had the white paint as standard from the factory.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                    X