Looking for ballpark value on a 40 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ballpark value on a 40 Commander

I recently spoke with a gentleman that has a 1940 Commander 4-door for sale. This is what he told me so far. Been garaged since 1953. Motor is free, but has not gotten it running. Car is very solid with no rust, and is complete. I dont know the condition of any of the bright-work.

He says he would consider somewhere in the $3800-$4500 range for it.

I will get more info on it when I go look at it, but I was just wondering if the price he is asking is fair or not.

Of course, just gut intuition here, since we haven't even seen a fuzzy photo, but I don't think that price range is unrealistic.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would be a bad one to ask on this. I gave away my complete, running 1940 President, including delivery from NY to ME. This was after trying to sell it for $500 for a period of time. I don't see much demand for those cars even though they are nice cars. I think that $3K is on the high side, assuming that it looks good inside and out. Then again, from your description, it may be an excellent car worth $5K if it looks like a three year old used car.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I gave away my complete, running 1940 President, including delivery from NY to ME. This was after trying to sell it for $500 for a period of time.
        It would be helpful to know when this was in order to determine if it has any application to this request. Likewise, I have disposed of any number of items only to see a market develop for them later.

Comment

Yeah, what year was that, Gary? Was that back when you had all those '61 Lark lenses you sold to Cathcart?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I would say that you have to love it. What I mean by that is you must have a passion for that year or a similar year. If the car has low mileage, original paint, virtually clean inside and out, it's a bargain.
            But to lay down cash on something like that and ignore other more desirable cars, I would resist. I am looking at a few pre-war vehicles myself, and have come to a conclusion about what I like. Get the one that completely wins you over and you'll have no regrets, no matter what the cost.

-Glenn

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MyStude_Baker

I would say that you have to love it. What I mean by that is you must have a passion for that year or a similar year.
              I agree! But go look at it and share some pictures.

There's one thing I've learned about Studebakers...Don't be in a hurry. If it's the right car it will still be there while you decide. While you're deciding the right car just might come along.

Fred
              o|||||||o

Comment

I have discovered that when you snooze, you lose.
                Fat fenders are in, and those 39's & 40's are very stylish cars.
                If the body is solid & car is complete, the 4K range should not be unrealistic.

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                X