PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Stude Land Cruiser

HarryStude
08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Well for a few months now I have been watching a 1950 Studebaker and finally bit the bullet this past Sunday and made the guy an offer and he took it. It is solid, only surface rust. It is straight except for the pass. side rear door has a small dent. The engine is there but missing the head, but may be in the trunk, we can't get in it because no keys. There is no title as the guy bought it at an estate auction and all he got was the car. It is a project but I am looking forward to tinkering with it. The plans are to put in a 250 Chevy 6 cyl. in it with a column shift 3 spd. so I can use the original column and not cut the floor. I will post pics as soon as I get it home. I have always wanted one of the bullet nose and finally found one in workable condition for the right price. I will dubb this project "Harry" after my Great Grandfather Harry Studebaker who is a decendant of the Studebakers who started the Studebaker wagons and later cars.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

tbredehoft
08-29-2009, 07:08 AM
My first Studebaker was a '50 Land Cruiser, in the mid '50s. It was a great car, wish I still had it. Mine had been a dealer demo and was fully optioned. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
'55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
....On the road, again....
'05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
All Indiana built cars

HarryStude
08-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Well I think I will enjoy it. I enjoy just looking at it, they are as far as I am concerned one of the best looking cars built.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

MyStude_Baker
08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by HarryStude

Well I think I will enjoy it. I enjoy just looking at it, they are as far as I am concerned one of the best looking cars built.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

My sentiment exactly. I have a '51 and its equally beautiful. My I ask what happened to its original drive train, is it missing?

-Glenn

1951 Commander Land cruiser

HarryStude
08-29-2009, 08:28 PM
No the original engine is in it but the head is missing and needs a lot of work. I was going to do the 250 Chevy thing but not hack it up so I could bring it back to original later on. I am a purist so it will be original some day but I want to drive it very soon.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

MyStude_Baker
08-29-2009, 08:59 PM
I was hoping you'd say that, nothing against Chevy's, it's just that Studebaker engines as you know, are some of the best engines ever built. I wouldn't trade my 232 V8 for anything else. Besides, it's that Studebaker sound that resembles nothing else on the American road.

-Glenn

50Champ
08-29-2009, 09:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by HarryStude

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

I have to agree with you about the bullet nose Studes. Good luck with your project. Don't forget to post those pics ASAP....:)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1188/4526177/20234971/329233113.jpg

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

royvaldez
08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hello Harrystude, Does harry have an automatic transmission. If harry has one, I am looking for a 1950 LandCruiser automatic bell housing. Just checking with you. Please email me at royvaldez@jps.net

HarryStude
08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Well Glenn honestly I am a Ford engine fan but the Chevy is easier. I do agree about the Studebaker sound it is definately a distinct sound. I wish I could find a good 51 V-8 to bolt in it. If I had one of those it would have that and never turn back. I may even like a 289 Stude or something of the like.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

HarryStude
08-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Also just an update on the geneology of my Grandfather who I named this project after, my brother has been doing a lot of the geneology work on our family and he found that Harry is a direct relation to Clement Studebaker who was one of the two who started Studebaker building wagons. They built the first Conestoga wagon and had the first gov't contract building wagons for the Union in the Civil War.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

MyStude_Baker
08-30-2009, 10:25 AM
What a family history, and here I thought being a relative of Abraham Lincoln seven times removed was cool! You're a direct descendant of Clement Studebaker, doesn't get much better than that!

-Glenn

Dan White
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Here's where it can go!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/drwhite55/Studebaker006.jpg

I think twice about putting in a chevy 6 unless it is a pretty new one. I bet you could score a decent or rebuilt Stude 6 without too much trouble.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Dick Steinkamp
08-30-2009, 10:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dan White

I think twice about putting in a chevy 6 unless it is a pretty new one. I bet you could score a decent or rebuilt Stude 6 without too much trouble.

I'm NOT a purist, but I'd agree with Dan.

The quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get your '50 on the road is to find another 245 big six. They are not that rare. Stude used them from the late 40's until 1960.

Putting a different motor/trans in it will involve fabricating front mounts, transmission crossmember and mount, driveshaft, setting pinion angle, throttle linkage, cooling, shift linkage, exhaust, maybe modifying the floor tunnel and the existing bellhousing crossmember. If you've done swaps before, you know that anything you do or change effects another subsystem (in a bad way). There are far more failed swaps out there than completed ones. There is no way to do a swap without cutting and/or welding.

Also, the '50 is kind of a one year only, strange bird. You will have more problems fitting something else to that car than to a 51 and up Stude (and they aren't much fun to swap into).

I'd post here for a good used 245. You might put a similar ad in Turning Wheels and post over at the Studebaker Swap Page...

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026-1.jpg

dean pearson
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Congrats Harry,
Bought my 52 commander just on a whim because it was a 2 door hard top and came with a bullet nose to put on it,
LOVE those bullet noses!
Get a little grief every now and then about changing the front end and not going with studie power but this is my car.
Have to say though Dick is right it would be easier in so many ways to use the original motor and get that bad boy on the road a litle sooner.
Completion of my car is so far out I find myself wanting to buy a decent driver all original just to help cure my craving to actually drive a studebaker.
The one thing I have decided for sure is that my next car or truck will be all factory equipment.
BUT... It's yours do what you want.
Dean.

aenthal
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
The Studebaker automatic transmission debuted with the 1951 model, so no.
His 1950 Studebaker would be a stick.

Roscomacaw
08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Andrea, I have a 1950 Studebaker Automatic shop manual.;) The V8 debuted in '51, but the automatic transmission came out in '50. Fact is, the fella that owned my '63 Cruiser - his dad was a travelling salesman here in central California. He was related to the Stude dealer here in Visalia and thru them served to road test a 50 Commander automatic as part of the company's field service evaluation program. He'd drive his '50 in the course of his business and every thousand miles or so, they'd swap in a new tranny and send the used one back to the factory for evaluation. They also picked up the tab on any other servicing the car needed during the course of the trials.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/58_Avatar.jpg
1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

rkapteyn
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
The Studebaker automatic transmission debuted with the 1951 model, so no.
His 1950 Studebaker would be a stick.
The Studebaker Detroit Gear Automatic Drive debuted in 1950
Robert Kapteyn

bezhawk
03-13-2015, 09:50 AM
I've had nearly 45 Studes, and the 5O Land Cruiser was my Favorite of all of them.

royvaldez
03-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Anthal, the first year for Studebaker automatic came in mid 1950.

r1lark
03-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Uh, guys.........this thread is six (6) years old. :confused:

TWChamp
03-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Uh, guys.........this thread is six (6) years old. :confused:

That's OK, the Stude is 65 years old. LOL