Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update & Photos: Corvette w/ Stude Champion 170!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update & Photos: Corvette w/ Stude Champion 170!

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I have seen legitimate pictures of it.

Has anyone got a "postable" photo of the fellow with the yellow 1968 Corvette powered by a Studebaker Champion flathead six? Yep, there is one and it is real.

UPDATE: I posted this earlier in the day. Tom Beckman saw the post and his Dad, Buzz, hooked me up with the Corvette's owners: SDC members John & Alba Koebl!

I talked at length with John this afternoon and sent the photos to several SDCers on the forum. I see Dick Quinn was able to post them just now. Thanks, Dick.

John bought the Corvette as a "regular" used car years ago and drove it 100,000+ miles with its original drivetrain. Then, when gasoline rationing was threatened during an earlier "gas crisis," he bought an NOS flathead Champion/Lark 170 service engine assembly from the original SASCO and fitted the Corvette with 170 Champion power and overdrive!

John said he put 100,000 additional miles on that combination and then pulled the Champion for a general rebuild, which has been accomplished. So the car is back running "as new," as originally modified.

He said it has plenty of pep thanks to the 4.56:1 axle he installed, and gets 23 MPG...probably passing more gasoline stations than any vintage Corvette in captivity?

If "rodding" is all about being different, I'd say John Koebl's Corvette is deserving of some unique award for The Spirit of Hot-Rodding...or would that be Cool-Rodding? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

But the car is real and the engine room looks downright "funny," as you can imagine.

Anyone have a photo of it? BP
    Hey Bob...I love the prospect. However, I don't think the engine could have looked any funnier than those late '50's and early '60's Chevy sedans with their own stock 6's under the hood. This car could set the "Standard" for revenge of all the various make customs sporting a SBC engine!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Think we should invite that guy to an International , but that would mean another division for non studebakers but studebaker powered

[IMG]
      Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Non Studebakers with Studebaker power would be an interesting class if you could get anyone to come. We know there are old style street rods with Studebaker power. There have been jeeps etc. in the past, but most likely not show worthy. Probably never happen, but a novel idea.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

But the car is real and the engine room looks downright "funny," as you can imagine.
          ....as would an '82 Firebird with an Iron Duke 4-cylinder under the hood. That was actually an option simply to meet CAFE standards. I havn't heard if any were ever ordered, though.

Craig

Comment

Richard Quinn
            past editor: Antique Studebaker Review
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

CACO? My kinda guy!

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Unbelievable ....can't think of anything else to say

[IMG]

1960 Champ
                1964 Daytona HT
                sigpic

Comment

Actually Craig, I had several of those 'Birds with the 4. Not a racer, but they did pretty well, and were really good cars.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I happen to have a 185 sitting on my garage floor , maybe I'll print these pics off and sell the engine to some Corvette guy for big bucks !

[IMG]

1960 Champ
                    1964 Daytona HT
                    sigpic

Comment

Congratulations to John and Alba Koebl...quite an inspiration for originality. Let's see, maybe we could make them life members of SDC, if they're not already.

Years ago, Ron Hall told me about seeing a Corvette with a Champion six engine; it was at the Iola, WI, meet. With not too many of these out there, this may well be the car.

George

george krem
                      george krem

Comment

Wow, seeing is believing.

But a serious question...
                        Why would someone use a Studebaker six over something else?
                        Is there a technical/packaging/weight reason why someone would use a Stude instead of a Chevy, Ford, Mopar, AMC or whatever?
                        Or is it as simple as the price was right for a NOS engine vs a Chevy crate motor??

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I love it, I love it, I LOVE IT!!! NT

Neil Thornton
                          Hazlehurst, GA
                          '57 Silver Hawk
                          '56 Sky Hawk
                          '51 2R16 dump truck
                          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Wow, seeing is believing.

But a serious question...
                            Why would someone use a Studebaker six over something else?
                            Is there a technical/packaging/weight reason why someone would use a Stude instead of a Chevy, Ford, Mopar, AMC or whatever?
                            Or is it as simple as the price was right for a NOS engine vs a Chevy crate motor??
                            Well, John, John Koebl today told me he was a Studebaker man and actually wanted an Avanti when the Corvette came along. Available Avantis were too expensive for his wallet right then and the Corvette was priced right, so he bought the Corvette instead.

This Corvette was a daily driver; that's why he put all the miles on it and wore out the original driveline. The original engine and trans were needing major attention and the gas crisis was looming and he still needed daily transportation, so he had this wild idea.

(I'll submit John Koebl's name for The SDC Wild Idea Award, should we ever initiate something of that order.)

A neighbor had an older Champ engine laying about, so he pulled the Corvette motor and fiddled around with the old 170 engine to see if it might work before he "sprung" for an NOS long block. He said the Corvette's six was manufactured in 1962 as a service replacement engine assembly, even though OHV sixes were the production engines at the time.

Quite a story. (And a lesson for us, too: John said he has been welcomed at Corvette meets and encouraged to join their club. As everyone knows, I'm the last guy to encourage pulling a Studebaker engine and replacing it with SOB, but that opinion takes a back seat to SDC comraderie and respect of a fellow hobbyist's accomplishments...IMHO, of course.) BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This was always about the No. 2 or 3 thing to do on my list after winning the lottery.
                              Another dream dashed on the rocks......
                              Bill H
                              Daytona Beach
                              SDC member since 1970
                              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Working...
                              X