PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge

mdelapp
08-20-2006, 06:21 PM
As previously posted, my converted 12 volt 1953 Commander Hardtop's gas gauge only deviates slightly in the middle. Never to full or empty. I was advised that I could connect a potentiometer in the line to the sending unit and with a full tank of gas, just dial the potentiameter until it reads full and leave the potentiometer connected. They are small and not expensive. Problem is Radiio Shack has a lot of them. Has anyone that has done this have an idea what ohm range resistor potentiometer to get?

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

Roscomacaw
08-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Mike, I doubt that's gonna fix your problem.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
08-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Are your gauge and sending unit "converted" to later, 12v types, or just what? I ask this because the sending units (and thus, the gauges) are entirely different in their resistance ranges and "direction" (that is, which end of travel has the low resistance and which has the high resistance).

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon
Deep in the heart of Texas

mdelapp
08-22-2006, 07:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Are your gauge and sending unit "converted" to later, 12v types, or just what? I ask this because the sending units (and thus, the gauges) are entirely different in their resistance ranges and "direction" (that is, which end of travel has the low resistance and which has the high resistance).

I believe the gauge is converted to 12v and the sending unit is still 6V, Not positive. I am led to believe that the high resistance occurs when the tank is full, therefore I may need to add resistance on the 12v feeding the unit with the potentiameter. It seems that is if the tank was full and the needle was'nt up to full that dialing in resistance would tend to raise the guage, so that dialing it up until the needle reads full bould be the correct amount of resistance. The potentiameters at Radio shack seem to be the 50K to 100K ohm. I did find a 25 ohm rheostat which should do about the same.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

DilloCrafter
08-22-2006, 09:03 PM
No, no, don't go down that road. Forget about adding a potentiometer, and here's why (somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this, as maybe the cars are different from the trucks).

Anyway, your old 6v sending unit goes from 0-100 ohms, and the 12v gauge is expecting 240-33 ohms. Notice I didn't say "33-240 ohms". That's because the direction is opposite from the older sending units. And this is why there is no way you can correct for that by adding a potentiometer into the circuit. Whoever told you that was misinformed about the 6v vs. the 12v sending units.

Do a search on this forum for "12v sending unit" or "sending unit" and you'll see a thread where I even posted a link and photo for a Stewart Warner 12v sending unit you can get from Summit Racing for around $25. That, I believe, is exactly what your new 12v gauge is looking for, and begging you to buy as its "other half".

...a few minutes later, DilloCrafter added this:

Mike, I see, from doing a search, that I answered your question back in July. At that time, I suggested you check out this forum thread, and look for the last reply I made in it, with the photo and link to the sending unit that will fix your problems. If you chose to ignore good advice a month and a half ago, I'm not sure why I think you will follow it now. But, here it is again for you:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3309

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

mdelapp
08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

No, no, don't go down that road. Forget about adding a potentiometer, and here's why (somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this, as maybe the cars are different from the trucks).

Anyway, your old 6v sending unit goes from 0-100 ohms, and the 12v gauge is expecting 240-33 ohms. Notice I didn't say "33-240 ohms". That's because the direction is opposite from the older sending units. And this is why there is no way you can correct for that by adding a potentiometer into the circuit. Whoever told you that was misinformed about the 6v vs. the 12v sending units.

Do a search on this forum for "12v sending unit" or "sending unit" and you'll see a thread where I even posted a link and photo for a Stewart Warner 12v sending unit you can get from Summit Racing for around $25. That, I believe, is exactly what your new 12v gauge is looking for, and begging you to buy as its "other half".

...a few minutes later, DilloCrafter added this:

Mike, I see, from doing a search, that I answered your question back in July. At that time, I suggested you check out this forum thread, and look for the last reply I made in it, with the photo and link to the sending unit that will fix your problems. If you chose to ignore good advice a month and a half ago, I'm not sure why I think you will follow it now. But, here it is again for you:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3309
My apologies for not heeding any previous info but for the life of me all that I just read on the thread, (I am new to that term) is all new to me. I don't know how i missed it. This certainly describes the issue and what others have done. I dont know how I missed seeing all that information. A lot of folks have done this and great to have access. Don't despair. A new set of bi-focals are coming and Im sure I will miss less.
Thanks again for such a thorough follow-thru. I am amazed at the response and knowledge available out there.

Mike d

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

Mike DeLapp
Barrington, IL
53 Commander Hardtop

DilloCrafter
08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by mdelapp
My apologies for not heeding any previous info but for the life of me all that I just read on the thread, (I am new to that term) is all new to me. I don't know how i missed it. This certainly describes the issue and what others have done. I dont know how I missed seeing all that information. A lot of folks have done this and great to have access. Don't despair. A new set of bi-focals are coming and Im sure I will miss less.
Thanks again for such a thorough follow-thru. I am amazed at the response and knowledge available out there.

Mike d

No problem, Mike. I'm glad you're on the right track with it now. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon