Will a Camaro 5 speed work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Camaro 5 speed work?

It seems that all of the information I see about putting a 5 speed transmission in a Studebaker always centers around the Mustang versions. Brother and I passed on a deal at the Springfield swap on a V-8 Camaro T-5 and Hurst shifter because we weren't sure it would work for a Studebaker. Did we mess up or was this a good thing? Does the Camaro Trans have issues with input shaft length, clutch availability of something else that makes it unsuitable for our purposes?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

it works with the right bellhousing (chevy t10 bolt pattern) and a machined bearing retainer, a longer pilot bushing, and a sleeved TO bearing. I had Dan Gibbs (?) help me put a package together. I'm using a Centerforce 10.5" Camaro clutch on one of Ted's Fidanza flywheels.
    I picked up a WC T5 out of a 92 Camaro Z28 and got a short straight Hurst shifter.

JohnP, driving & reviving
    an early Lark
    sigpic
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I used a z28 5 spd box in a 63 GT. Everything you mentioned John is right. My comment is that the shifter comes through the floor about 4 to 6 inchs toward the rear from the stock position.

Comment

Hi Nels,
        I can see how having a car that was already floor shift might have a problem with the shifter being moved back and over like that, especially if you were trying to look stock.
        My Lark was column shift and a bench seat (which has been replaced by buckets) so I'm hoping the new shifter position is in a good location for shifting, in relation to the wheel, pedals and seats. The tranny isn't in yet as the new 289 isn't ready for the swap and there will be lots of details (inner pivot point for the clutch, new driveshaft, speedo cable and back up light wiring, etc) to take care of.

an early Lark
        sigpic
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I would think the Ranger, mini-van, or S-10 versions would be better for shifter location- especially in bench seat cars. I do not know how easy it is finding world class versions of these, though..

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Sorry Tex, but the Ford Ranger, Explorer & Aerostar use the Mazda sourced M5OD-R1, or Mitsubishi FM132, 145&146 which have integral bell housings. The Chevy/GMC S-10/15 used a non world-class T-5 and the Astro/Safari van used the same but they had an offset shift housing, both versions have a seperate bell housing.

Jon Krimm
            1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

We looked up the Hurst shifter. The deal would have been worth it for the shifter alone. Oh well....

Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

The Typhoons used a W/C. But that's like R3 stuff.

Comment

Other than a Pacific storm, what is a Typhoon?

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Aaaahhhh I remember these. I have not looked at one in person in YEARS, I've looked at more Buick grand nationals than this pair.

The Typhoon

And its Variant the Syclone

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

What's a Syclone...what's a Typhoon!

Fred
                      o|||||||o

Comment

Working...
                      X