51 Champion 4-door Seat Belt Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion 4-door Seat Belt Mounting

Good evening. I got two lap belts from Studbaker Int'l that came with big washers and eye hooks. The ends of the belts have "sister" hooks that will get joined with cotter pins at the time they are bolted down.

The question is, the instructions imply to bolt through the floor pan (says not to bolt to the seat or its mounts). The big washer goes under the car. The floor pan is solid, but how have others bolted in their seat belts?

Regards,
    Clarence in Virginia Beach

Exactly that way. Drill a hole in the floor and drop the bolt down through it and put the washer and nut on underneath.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Hey, be happy you don't bolt it to the rear edge of the door like the factory did in '55-'56. The theory was, in an accident, your "girth" would help keep the door closed, so you wouldn't fall out.

I've heard that what it REALLY did was make a human sandwich of whomever was between the seat belt and the seat.

Pass the mustard! [)]

John

Comment

Thanks, Bob, and Johnny. Ouch. That does sound painful. But my Dad had a tire mark on his belly until I was a teen caused by driving with no belt in the 50s and falling out and running over himself. The door lock failed, and he fell out while driving.

Thanks,
        Clarence

Comment

Working...
        X