PDA

View Full Version : 51 Champion Switching Bulbs to Add Turn Signals

cbonner757
08-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Greetings to all. I have an aftermarket 6v turn signal switch and flasher. The car did not come with signals. If I use the front markers and rear brake/running lights as signals, what replacement bulbs will I need to use?

Regards,
Clarence in Virginia Beach

BobGlasscock
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
IF your 51 is the same as a 50, on the front you don't need to change bulbs unless you want brighter ones. The parking lights are a seperate position on the light switch and aren't on when the lights are on. There would not be much reason for having the parking lights on and wanting to signal a turn at the same time. As for the rear, my 50 has a second socket which is not used. A bulb could be put in there for signaling.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

Roscomacaw
08-23-2009, 09:04 PM
You really need different sockets now. I think. As Bob has stated, parking lites aren't much good for anything, including parking. SO, you could go to a brighter single filament bulb and isolate the individual parking lites to work as turn signals.
At the rear, does this aftermarket TS unit integrate the brake lites THRU the TS switch? If it does, then you shouldn't need to change the bulbs at the rear. IF it doesn't integrate your brake lite circuit, you're going to have to add a socket at each taillight and have a seperate bulb for the turn signal function.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/58_Avatar.jpg
1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

cbonner757
08-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for all the info. The directions are very minimal, so I can't yet tell whether the brake lights go thru the TS swtich. The Ebay ad said the switch was 4-way, but the instructions that came with it say the push-pull switch on it is to turn parking lights on and off, which makes little sense. It's a 7-wire switch that is supposed to have 4-way flashers built in, 6 volt. I'll open up the lens and see if there is already a hole for another socket. I have to run wire anyway, and it's no extra trouble to add a socket. That would allow me to have brakes lights and signals going at the same time (I think).

What is the best place to tap power? Since it's supposed to have 4-way flashers, I want to tap where they'd work whether it's running or not.

Here is a link to the switch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400000713763&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_1093wt_782

Regards,
Clarence

leyrret
08-24-2009, 05:02 AM
If it's a seven wire switch the brake feed probably goes through the switch, but I've never heard of a turn switch with a parking light switch
built into it. The push/pull switch is usually 4 way. If you could post directions would help. It is possible to use a single bulb for turn and park but it requires the use of two 5 terminal switching relays on each light. Any convenient place with unswitched power(like light switch feed) will work to connect. I would use an in line fuse.
What brand is that switch?

Roscomacaw
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
If the instructions don't TELL YOU to seek out the brake lite wire, then it's not going to end up integrated with the brake lites.

As for power, I'd try to hook it to the ammeter's output side. And DO incorporate an in-line fuse in that power wire. It'll be the only protection against a short![}:)]

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/58_Avatar.jpg
1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

cbonner757
08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Biggs, that helps. It does come with a fuse, and surely plan to use it. The instructions are sketchy but the circuit doesn't seem that complicated.

Regards,
Clarence

cbonner757
08-26-2009, 03:37 AM
Sorry for the delay, but here is the one page of instructions that came with it. No maker visible on the switch, box or instructions,
but the box just says "Directional Switch," no city, no manufacturer.

Let's see if this photo uploads.

Regards,
Clarence/Users/dean/Desktop/LexmarkAIOScan1.jpg

cbonner757
08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
PHoto didn't work-- I'll have to get it onto a web page before I can load it here.

gordr
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing that switch is a Chinese knock-off of what used to be commonly sold here for trucks and older cars. The instructions that come with Chinese-made stuff sometimes are a little cryptic.

I'm sure that switch will have provision to incorporate the brake circuit.

You will have to check the rear wire harness in your car to see if individual wires for the stop/turn filaments in the lamps are brought forward to the dash area. Older cars often had a single wire for "tail" and another single wire for "stop", with a junction at the rear to split it off to each side. If your car is wired that way, you will have to disconnect ONE of the "stop" lamps from that junction, and run a new wire forward to the appropriate terminal on the signal switch.

But I'm thinking your car is probably pre-wired for turn signals, with the wires for the two stop lamps tied together near the stop lamp switch.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

cbonner757
08-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks, Gord. I signed up for one of the free sites to do web pic posting, but it didn't work (just stalled for ten minutes). I'll examine it closer-- there are two wires leaving the two-filament bulb socket in the rear, but I will need to follow it to see how it is configured. I removed the access plate on the steering column and saw no wiring harness inside, just the steering mechanism. Yes, it's a made in Taiwan piece, but it seems heavy and may be of decent quality--it's just the instructions that are lacking.

Regards,
Clarence

Jimmie
08-29-2009, 11:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by cbonner757

Greetings to all. I have an aftermarket 6v turn signal switch and flasher. The car did not come with signals. If I use the front markers and rear brake/running lights as signals, what replacement bulbs will I need to use?

Regards,

On my 50, when I added the turn signals, I put in bulbs with two elements and then twisted the pigtail wires together and hooked them up to the turn signal switch. This makes the lights especially bright. I also cleaned, treated for rust, and painted the inside of the parking light bases, bright white.

Then, for the rear lights, I added another bracket/socket in each original housing just below the ones that sit near the top of the lights and again used bulbs with two elements and twisted the pigtail wires together so both bulb elements come on when the turn signal is turned on.

I treated and painted the rear housings inside too. Again, the lights are very bright, getting the attention of other drivers. My car is still a 6V and I am very pleased with my setup. This way the rear parking lights and the brake lights stayed the same. The typical flasher unit works fine

Jimmie

Jimmie
Orange County, Indiana http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_RedStudebaker.jpg
1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

cbonner757
08-30-2009, 04:00 AM
Great news. Thanks, Jimmie.

Regards,
Clarence

cbonner757
08-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Jimmie, can you send a pic of how you added the bracket/socket? Was it the same vertically mounted bulb style as the original running light? Sounds like both those wires are hot, with grounding through the housing to the body? I like your solution best-- adding a separate socket. It should make installation simpler and give more effective results.

Regards,
Clarence

Jimmie
08-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Great news. Thanks, Jimmie.

Regards,
Clarence

I hope this helps. I still cannot convince my computer and Photo bucket to allow me to send larger pictures.

If I remember right, I did this in about 1988, I got the socket/bases out of some other Studebaker lights and attached them with their screws which screwed right into the light housing which already had threaded holes in the other half of the tail light. One is facing up and the other down.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_MVC-019S.jpg

Jimmie
Orange County, Indiana http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_RedStudebaker.jpg

1962larksedan
08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Another option would be to add separate lights in the back (maybe OEM style backup units) and run amber rear turn signals since the OP is essentially starting from scratch :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

cbonner757
08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Jimmie, and LarkSedan. I don't want to go with amber in back, and the white marker lights up front are bright enough--I just have to tap into those. I'll paint the buckets of all of them bright white as suggested. I will post a Parts Wanted ad looking for the tail/turn sockets with enough wire to tap into. Looking at the Stude Int'l catalog, the 1-296365 socket for the 1952 might work, also.

Many thanks, Jimmie. The pic is hard to see but I understand the idea. I'd rather use that style than drill a big hole in the housing to mount some other kind horizontallly.

I have a bunch of repro 18ga stranded copper wire I use in tube radio restoration that has a cloth covering but with a plastic layer between that and the copper. Anyone know what guage wire was used for the basic electrical in these cars?

Regards,
Clarence

Jimmie
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Regards,

Clarence-
I took another picture up close so maybe you can see how I did it. Now that I am holding some extra pieces similar to those I used before, it appears that I must have had to bend them a little. I will send you another picture on another post since I cannot figure out how to send but one at a time.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_MVC-004S.jpg

Jimmie

Jimmie
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Regards,

Clarence-

Here is another view:
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_MVC-003S-2.jpg

I have two of the pieces you will need except they do not have pigtails nor springs. You can buy the pigtails with the two contacts but for 12 V at various auto parts stores and they will work as far as I know. I will sell you the two pieces, E-mail me if interested.

Jimmie

Jimmie
08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Regards,

I just realized that I left out a step on the last post so you will have to click on the image code to see it.

The picture attached is of the two pieces I will sell you. One is rusty a little but will clean up fine I think.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr35/n9prz/th_MVC-005S-2.jpg

Jimmie

cbonner757
08-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks, Jimmie, sent you an email. Nice Champion you got there, by the way. Do you know the guage wire used on these cars? My 18ga is thinner than what's on there but bigger than what's on a modern car.

Regards,
Clarence

cbonner757
09-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Many thanks to all, especially Jimmie. Got the front markers working as signals and they are plenty bright enough with the original bulbs. I traced their wire from the back of the housing, finding it comes up in a bundle with the headlight to a junction block near the driver's side fender. Unplugged wires until the markers went out, cut the hot lead running back to the light switch, taped that off. Tied the new wires coming from the new turn signal switch to the left and right markers and it worked great, including the elusive 4-way flashers that the Chinese instructions described as operating the stop lights. I have leads (pun intended) on separate sockets for the rear so they will operate as signals independent of any brake/stop/tail lights which makes the installation much simpler, and I can tie he two wires together of a double-element bulb socket so they both light at the same time. I have to get under the car to see how the old tail light and brake light wires are routed to the back so I don't have to punch new holes in the body if I can help it. If you can use some imagination to overcome the instructions, this is a nice looking switch that is not that hard to install, but for my configuration I had to ignore some of the instructions (for the rear). And it grounds through the switch housing/clamp to the steering column, I had to remove the spacer I'd put under there to avoid scratching the paint.

Regards,
Clarence
51 Champion 4-door

I