DG Automatic with anti creep brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG Automatic with anti creep brake system

Why is this necessary with an automatic transmission? Can I eliminate this from the brake system ?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

It's not necessary, it's a accessory that keeps the car from moving by applying the rear brakes at idle. You can remove and plumb around it.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Or simply disconnect the wires and drive like you would in any other automatic drive car. Hold the brake on until the light turns green.

I can't get mine to work. I put in a new solenoid, either it's bad or the pressure switch isn't working. More study needed.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      ....On the road, again....
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

In the early '50s, as automatic transmissions were becoming increasingly popular, 'creep', (car trying to pull forward at idle speed) at a stop light for instance, was a big deal to a lot of drivers.
        I never really understood that. So you had to keep one foot on the brake pedal, so what! Cars still creep today, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain, you've probably never done this, but I'm sure you've seen plenty of bikes or other vehicles revving the engine at a stop light while in gear, but with the clutch disengaged. Once in a while a clutch cable will snap, the clutch engages and there's an unplanned wheelie and a scream through the intersection. I'm sure you've never done this (lol). Having an automatic with an anti-creep is sort of a statement that says "I'm above that sort of behavior". I've never done that sort of thing either
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

No, but I've brought plenty of VW's back to the shop by starting them in gear, shutting off and restarting if you have to come to a complete stop.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You betcha! Bugs had clutch cables, too. I had a fleet of them for pizza delivery and one driver jumped a set of tracks and broke the motor mount struts. I sent a mechanic friend to inspect the situation. He wired the engine back up and fired her up. Drove it back to his shop tugging on the throttle cable and not even missing the clutch. He attached a crane to the car and when he lifted it, half the car stayed on the ground (lol). I shoulda used Studebakers!
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

[u]SOME</u> transmission!

John

Comment

Working...
                X