Studebaker Hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Hearse

I recently bought a model of a 1937 Studebaker Hearse, which came complete with coffin and flower stand. And today while doing some research on the weinermobile, i discovered that they didn't even have one at Oscar Meyers funeral, let alone give him his last ride in one. (first one was built in 1936)

So does anyone know how many of the Studebaker family made their last ride in a Studebaker Hearse. And did they make any carrige era ones?

There is a horse drawn type Studebaker hearse in the Museum in South Bend .

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Don't know but Packard Hearses were popular with the Funeral Homes, right up there with the Caddies till their demise not to include Packabaker, jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Brooks Stevens designed the later weinermobiles, maybe he did the earlier one too.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
        canbstudebakers-

]
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

There is a local (Hopewell Junction, NY) funeral home that has a 1929 Studebaker hearse. They will use it (instead of a modern hearse) if requested. They brought it to one of our Hudson Valley Chapter meets directly from a funeral/burial.

Yes, Studebaker made horse drawn hearses.

Most meets do not allow caskets to be displayed in hearses. It is thought to be bad taste to do so. I believe that the Professional Car Society disallows it. Probably okay on Halloween.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Caskets are not allowed to be displayed in hearses at PCS meets , true,but I went to a mixed-make car show last week and there were 2 hearses there that had "boxes" in the back, one of which was open and displaying a fake corpse.Pretty nasty, but the few children in attendance seemed to have thought it was cool.

Comment

I had a 39 President hearse body by Bender,that I sold to a collector in Tenn. 15-20 years ago.Don't know if he still has it.
              It was huge,a straight 8 & a solid car.My wife refused to ride in it.
              Because of the gearing & no OD top speed was about 50mph.

Comment

I remember when I was a junior in high school my dad drove through a small town just west of us to and from work each day. One day dad came home with the news that the town's funeral home was selling one of its hearses. It was 1939 Packard. Orginal everything, including window curtains. I wanted that thing bad. I can't remember the cost, but I do remember I had enough saved up to buy it. My mom would not hear of it. Nobody was going to park a hearse in her drive way. It was a cool looking automobile.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Here is a Packard Hearse that I have seen numerous times at Hot August Nights. It does have a casket that opens to reveal a passenger on his last ride. Sometimes he sits up. Done in a light hearted fashion, but then I have seen more more than a few things done in Reno that could be considered poor taste

Sorry I don't have a better image of the air brush work, it really was pretty special

Pat

Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

We had a 1940 Commander Hearse, body by Bender. Sold it to a guy who
                    claimed he was going to restore it, heard a rumor years later he chopped
                    the top front to rear and installed a big block with blower out of the hood.
                    I sure hope thats not true, but no way to follow up.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

So i guess from the response's that the Stude family my have rode to the stone garden in a Packard?

Comment

Peter & Jacob both died before the automobile era, early in the late 19th century. It is a good chance that they may have been dispatched in their final rides in horse drawn Studebakers. If for no other reason than their brothers still controlled the business quite strongly.

By the time JM died in the early 20th century Studebaker was getting out of the wagon and carriage business, and their automobiles were not yet suited for much commercial use. I think that Richard Quinn or someone at the SNM would most likely be the best suited to answer this question!? Though a lot of that early hors drawn era information is long lost when they sold that part of the company in 1921.

As far as I know, Studebaker offered custom built Hearse and Ambulance bodies from the mid 20's to the very end. It has been a long time since I have seen any of these other than the few mid 50's Ambulet SW's and that one 1964 Ambulance down in Austraila.

Peter Crisitello

T442163
                        [u]Crisitel@RCI.Rutgers.edu</u>
                        T442163
                        Crisitel@oit.Rutgers.edu

Comment

Working...
                        X