PDA

View Full Version : No Start, No Nothing

EHarnett
08-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey everyone, I have a very weird problem with my 66 Cruiser, aside from its overheating, this moring I put a new fanbelt on it, then fired it up, while it was idling I hit the headlight switch and the car died instantly, now nothing works, except the horns, theres no power to anything else, even with the key on acc. nothing works, I tried a spare ign. switch I bought afew months ago, still nothing works, checked the fuses in the fuse block, theyre good, I cant try anything else now, a thunder storm just started while I was out working on it, any suggestions would be very helpful, thankyou.

P/S. I also put a new battery in last week

Eric Harnett
1966 Cruiser
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton Chapter

JDP
08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by EHarnett

Hey everyone, I have a very weird problem with my 66 Cruiser, aside from its overheating, this moring I put a new fanbelt on it, then fired it up, while it was idling I hit the headlight switch and the car died instantly, now nothing works, except the horns, theres no power to anything else, even with the key on acc. nothing works, I tried a spare ign. switch I bought afew months ago, still nothing works, checked the fuses in the fuse block, theyre good, I cant try anything else now, a thunder storm just started while I was out working on it, any suggestions would be very helpful, thankyou.

P/S. I also put a new battery in last week

Eric Harnett
1966 Cruiser
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton Chapter

Check the battery cables, ammeter and the connection at the solenoid. It sounds like the draw from the headlamps was enough to open a weak or dirty connection.

JDP/Maryland

EHarnett
08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks JDP, when I checked the positive cable at the solenoid, I found a lot of green fuzz at the end of the cable, put a new cable on and now the car is back to burning oil and overheating in the humid weather, thanks for the help

Eric Harnett
1966 Cruiser
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton Chapter

JDP
08-22-2009, 05:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by EHarnett

Thanks JDP, when I checked the positive cable at the solenoid, I found a lot of green fuzz at the end of the cable, put a new cable on and now the car is back to burning oil and overheating in the humid weather, thanks for the help

Eric Harnett
1966 Cruiser
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton Chapter

Glad to help, by now, I've seen most everything, except with Christine, the 58 HT. When the parking lights came on by themselves while I was walking to get my test light, that was a unique electrical problem.:)

JDP/Maryland

Mark57
08-22-2009, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

I've seen most everything, except with Christine, the 58 HT. When the parking lights came on by themselves while I was walking to get my test light, that was a unique electrical problem.:)

JDP/Maryland

Hmmm... if she starts up and begins moving after those parking lights come on, run like hell! ;)[}:)]:D

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island Chapter
http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0172a.jpg

Roscomacaw
08-22-2009, 09:09 PM
The connections at the ammeter can really play havoc with your head! And they DO go bad on some cars after time! They can develop a bad connection and cause the car to be 100% dead.:(

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/30906179/aview/58_Avatar.jpg
1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door