The Ute is sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ute is sold

When the ute didn't sell on eBay a few month ago, a long time friend in the Bay Area told me that it is the kind of car that HAS to be seen to sell. He talked me into bringing it down for the GoodGuys West Coast Nationals. I liked that idea since even if it didn't sell there it would be worth the trip. The show is the best of its type I have ever been to . I have attended it for at least the last 10 years and always have had tons of fun.

My son-in-law and I left Bellingham at 9 PM on Wednesday. He would spend the week end in Santa Cruz surfing. We drove all night and 16 hours later were about 2 hours out of Pleasanton when a wheel bearing fried in the trailer. We were fortunate to find a trailer repair place pretty quickly that got us back on the road in about 3 hours. We arrived in Pleasanton about 6 PM Thursday.

I got to the show fairly early Friday morning and found Steve Hudson right away. It was great to visit with Steve most of the day and to have the two "phantom" Studes parked next to each other. They got MORE than their share of attention !

I had a huge surprise in the morning when Sam Chakries walked up and introduced himself to me. Sam was Lee's partner when the Ute was built in 1958. Sam is 80 years old, but sharp as a tack and still into hot rods. It was great meeting him and talking with him. He had not seen the Ute for 50 years.

I was off looking at other cars when I got a call from a potential buyer. I returned to the car and we had a deal in about 2 minutes. A collector from the Ft. Worth, Texas area. 40+ collector cars and this is his first Stude (he does have a '57 Packard Wagon).

The Ute goes to a great car guy. It will reside in a climate controlled showroom with his other special cars. He does take them out and play with them somewhat, however.

Now I get to spend today (Saturday) just looking at cars, talking about cars, seeing a bunch of old friends, and making new ones. Sunday with the grandkids in San Jose, and the sprint home on Monday.

Although I'll need another project soon, I plan to complete what is on my plate first. I need to finish sorting out the '63 Daytona, do the brakes on the Packard, then a good restoration on the '62 Lark Regal Hardtop. None of these are "long term" projects and I am sure the "right" bigger project will find me soon enough .

The Ute was a real "car highpoint" for me. Finding it, researching the history, meeting Lee (and Sam), getting invited to the GNRS, the HRD and TW features, Hot Rod TV...it will be tough for me to top [^]. Lots of good memories. Thanks to the forum for all the help and support.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Congratulations on the sale Dick, now that the restoration fund has been replenished its full speed ahead on the others.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

See today at the show Dick, will call you and you can buy the dogs....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
      canbstudebakers-

]
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Dick

Glad you were able to fine an appropriate buyer for the Ute.

I like to fabricate better than drive so I can understand why you sold it. Still a melancholy parting after all the effort.

Thanks for undertaking the project and taking the time to post the build.

Bob

Comment

Jeez, if the guy that bought it has a '57 Packard wagon, he can't be all bad!

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          '57 Packard wagon on the road!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Congrats on the sale. I hope we will see it again in the future. You did a great job on the Ute and gave Studebaker much favorable publicity. Hope you have something neat ready for Glendale.
            Denny L

Comment

while sad I couldn't be the new proud owner, it looks like the Ute will be well taken care of, if possible Dick, could we get the whereabouts of this Ft. Worth collection? Would be nice to visit, or arrange a visit (if private) to see the custom vehicle that the forum embraced, championed, and adored.

Best of luck in your car building/driving future.

And while you may not experience the emotional roller coaster you experienced with the Ute again (I doubt that )......at least you experienced it! Some builders never reach that point.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob

I like to fabricate better than drive so I can understand why you sold it. Still a melancholy parting after all the effort.
                Not that melancholy actually. I will miss this car (along with several others I've owned over the years), but I'm not sure how I could get much MORE enjoyment out of it by owning it longer....besides, I've got this short attention span .

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

while sad I couldn't be the new proud owner, it looks like the Ute will be well taken care of, if possible Dick, could we get the whereabouts of this Ft. Worth collection? Would be nice to visit, or arrange a visit (if private) to see the custom vehicle that the forum embraced, championed, and adored.

I probably shouldn't broadcast his name but...for those of you that attend the GoodGuys events in Ft Worth at the Texas Motor Speedway, his collection is generally on the GoodGuys "tour" that takes place during the week prior to the show there.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick- Congratulations on the sale!
                    Thank you for sharing your "Ute" experience with ALL of us. You did a great job of posting the story here on the forum, including the entire restoration process from start to finish, that allowed us to share in your experience.
                    I can't think of a more visible Studebaker project in recent history that has been exposed to the public with such deserved recognition. For that, we are all grateful. I, as I'm sure many on here, have drawn inspiration from you and this special vehicle(the word almost doesn't sound appropriate).

Great to hear it's going to a good home... and yes, I am incredibly jealous!!

Best Regards- Matt

-Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                    1958 Cushman Eagle
                    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                    1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Congrats on the sale, Dick. Sounds like the Ute went to a good home. It's just TOO nice to be used as a driver, I'm afraid.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Nice going Dick. I think the totally nostalgic look is starting to overtake the "belly button" cars you typically see. Yours was genuinely a fine example of "nostalgic" in all respects.

Comment

Good deal! I'm anxious to see what you do with those that you have in waiting.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The Ute was a real "car highpoint" for me. Finding it, researching the history, meeting Lee (and Sam), getting invited to the GNRS, the HRD and TW features, Hot Rod TV...it will be tough for me to top [^]. Lots of good memories. Thanks to the forum for all the help and support.
                            Congratulations, Dick! I think many here would agree, watching your progress on the Ute was a highpoint for all of us. It was only topped by getting to meet you and get a guided tour of it in person.[^]

Andy
                            62 GT

Andy
                            62 GT

Comment

Good going, Dick. I am also of the school of owning/experiencing many different vehicles over a period of time, rather than keep any for very long. I have only owned one car, out of more than 100, for more than ten years. Of course, some people like Jay Leno, can just keep them all.

Perhaps you can convince the new owner to bring the Ute and his '57 Packard to the 2010 SDC International.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X