Mid-Michigan Junk Yard-Stude content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Michigan Junk Yard-Stude content

Late this spring (2009) My rat rodding friend and I went to Hilliard's Auto Yard in Vestaburg, Michigan. It's well enough known that I think a few of you have heard about it.

It's in the process of degenerating much like the Studebaker graveyard. It is however, A wealth of trim parts and glass. There are windshields and rear windows in 50's and 60's vehicles that look less than a year old. Due mainly to the shade in the area. These conditions have not been friendly to the steel.

The good and the bad before I post the URL to my photobucket album.

The bad - Kinda. The yard is the property of Ray Hilliard who is in failing health and getting up in years. On his best days, he could be the picture next to cranky junk yard owner in the dictionary.

He has a habit of quoting a price and then when you go get the part he'll double the cost.

Because I've delt with the yard off and on for 20 years and am not much younger than him, my approach is in a firmly friendly way say: Ray I've delt with you for 20 years and we do this dance everytime. Let's just settle up on what we agreed because we are honest men (He'll quote his honesty a lot) and that'll save us both a lot of time and effort.

The other bad news is: It's not clear what will happen to the yard when he's gone. Rumor has it that a nephew is helping him and may assume the yard eventially.

The good news.

The yard is full of most brands of cars and trucks from the 30's through the 80's.

You can take the parts of yourself.

You can wander for hours through the acres and acres of memories and just enjoy them. Although most are considerably shabbier than my memories.

I've removed some trim for my project and the complete front suspension and power steering from the 58 over the years.

One last thought - Usually if you show up at the yard, he'll let you in. If is really grouchy try the bought from you for 20 years or I've driven 150 miles after our call routine.

Ray also claims to be blind, I believe he is legally blind but not sightless. One test he runs, and I don't blame him, is to have you count out the money because he says he can't tell the amounts. I pity the cat that would try to short change him. Not a problem with this membership, but just a heads up.

Enjoy http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...bob/Hilliards/

Bob

Thanks Bob! Looks like a diamond mine to me! Good thing I don't live closer.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is amazing how rusted the metal on all those cars are! We are spoiled here on the West Coast!

Comment

Lots of possibilities to those willing risk meeting Ray...

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Amazing thing is....
          All the junkyards look the same to me now....
          That makes me sad
          Jeff[8D]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Makes me think of ones I've haunted that I know now are gone.[V]

There were several I knew in Georgia and a couple here in central California.
            One in Fresno had a solid, complete Zip Van and a couple of other Studes as well. I hadn't been there in a few years when I took a notion to one day and found out it had been cleared for a four-lane!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X