Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion or Commander

Hello
    We bought our first Studebaker. It is a 1952 with a flat 6cyl in it. I am wondering if we were told right. We were told that it is a Champion but looking at others it doesn't seem to have the same look to it. It does look a lot like the Commanders that I have seen on the net but does not have the v8. It is a 2 door post and does not have the wrap around back window or the 3 piece window. The roof line and the back side windows are more square than the Champions that I have seen on the internet. Just not sure what model it is. The title says it is a 2H for the model if that helps. Did the Champion and Commander look the same or were they completely different? Tried to upload a picture but it shows up as a red X. Can email a picture to you if that helps.
    Thanks

Dan

All '52's shared the same bodies, Champion or Commander. The flathead six would indicate it is a Champion two door sedan. The coupe (Starlight) would have the wrap around rear windows.
    Email me and I'll post your picture. Tell us what the body tag says (under hood, passenger side firewall).

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

OK thanks for the help. I will look at the tags but it is in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt. Should hopefully have it here on Thursday. Can't wait to get the car out on the road. As a young family in our 20's we hope to get many years of driving out of it.
      Thanks

Dan

Comment

Your would be a 2 Dr. Sedan, an "F" model on the firewall body I.D. plate.

That is why as Brad said, that it does not resemble a Starlight Coupe, the Champion/Commander thing has little to do with the looks, except the front hood ornament (Emblem)! [:0]

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dan, A number of incomplete questions. First we need the letters and numbers on the raised metal tag on the right side cowl. I have never seen a 2H, the 51 Commanders are H and the 52's are 3H. Do you have Photobucket? If you do I can walk you through posting.

Comment

Hope it's standard transmission with overdrive. That's a winner in the Champion. [8D]
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I can get you the numbers off of the car on Thursday hopefully. I did set up photobucket and followed the directions but when I previewed the post it came up as a red x. So what I have gathered so far is that it is a Champion sedan and not a coupe. I will get you all the numbers on Thursday. The car is 45 miles away right now. Just want to thank everyone for the responses already!!!
              Thanks

Dan

Comment

Here's a few of Dan's photos and a link to the rest.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for posting for me. I'll have to work on posting pics. I know that the car originally was light green. I think it was Tahoe Green, if that sounds right. All of the chrome was powdercoated by the previous owner. Thanks for all the help.

Dan

Comment

First I'd like to say welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase, you'll find This Forum, Studebakers, and the car hobby quite addicting.

Peruse the many forum threads and acquire a feel for the many contributors, their humor, intrests and contributions. And the occasional heated debate (were not perfect, but it's really not the norm here.)

Try out the 'search' feature I believe there's info as far back as 2004, and if you don't find out what your looking for by all means post a new topic or respond to a current one.

Post a picture of your car when you get better with Photobucket here on the forum, it's the "members studebaker pictures" section.

Time to time topics repeat themselves, there's constantly new persons joining the site, as well as lurkers.
                    So with that in mind, a topic that has come up again is the Average age of the SDC (Stude drivers club) membership and or the Avg. age of those on the forum. So I invite you to go to the link below and help pull that Avg. down

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I procured and restored a '52 Champion two door for a friend of mine (on his dime). There's only one thing he enjoys more than taking his "girl" out in that sedan for ice cream. That's taking his grand kids out.
                      Not enough of the Champion sedans have been saved.
                      Kudos on your acquisition; a sweet ride.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Looks like a winner, Dan. Nice color.[8D] You'll be getting it to your liking soon enough. Expect the little quirks and as soon as it's safe, you'll really enjoy it. Check in soon and often with any questions. As others have expressed, welcome. I don't know why Kevin thinks there are heated discussions...he's a little sensitive.

Comment

I'm surprised that lstude hasn't chimed in. He has a 52 Commander 2 door sedan. My 52 is a Champion Starlight coupe and it is Tahoe green. A 52 Champion with overdrive is a fine driving car. I notice that yours does not have overdrive and that may limit your highway speed , but it will be a nice car anyway. You should enjoy it.
                          What part of South Dakota are you in? My 52 was out there with us for 5 years. The Black Hills are a great place to tour.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
                          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sweet '52!
                            Welcome to the forum.

Chris Pile
                            Editor: The Studebaker Special
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I don't know why Kevin thinks there are heated discussions...he's a little sensitive.
                              Don't mind Dave, Dan, he's just being the resident 'funny' guy Dave's sensitive to dust on a judging day [)] [)] [)].

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X