Brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake question

First thing is= do you have front disc brakes? If you do put new pads in.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have drums all around... Also the pedal is firm when the brakes work, but when they don't the pedal sinks.

-Chris

1964 Daytona
      Seattle,Wa

Comment

Are you loosing fluid? How long will brake pedal remain firm with
        steady pressure? I think you have a problem with your master cylinder, any sign of water contamination? How much crud did you
        clean out? More questions than answers but don't have enough
        information to say anything other than master cylinder. I would
        check again for debris, I think that could be your problem

Comment

Karnak the Magnificient says...I see a master cylinder rebuild in your future.

Or a new one. Either way, I'd get to it pronto! If the old one isn't pitted you can use a hone and just re-build it. It isn't hard, just follow the shop manual. You do have one, of course? Glad you got the universal joint issue figured out...Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

A new MC is in order. They are inexpensive. Check e-bay. Less than 40 bucks. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Sounds like a defective master cylinder to me. My Avanti did the same thing to me a few months ago. I replaced the master cylinder and the problem went away. Bud

Comment

As the others stated: probable bad master cylinder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

IF the pedal sinks slowly AFTER you pump it a few times and hold it,Then you need a new master cylinder.

However- IF the pedal is hard and firm after "pumping them up".. you need to adjust your shoes.

As the shoes wear- if the "self adjusters" aren't quite working properly, you get too much distance between the shoe and the drum. As you push the pedal down, you don't have enough fluid volume to press the shoes all the way to the drum. So, you have an inconsistent first push.
                  If your shoes are properly adjusted, the pedal shouldn't get more than 1/3rd of the way to the floor before getting hard.

If the pedal gets too close to the floor, the internal piston opens (uncovers) the pressure return bypass hole- and you have NO pedal at all, and the pedal sinks rapidly.

I would check my shoe adjustment FIRST- before swapping the cylinder.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                  Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                  Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Working...
                  X