No start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No start problem

So not being one to leave well enough alone I took my running 50 Champ and pulled the head to polish it (aluminum) and put in a new head gasket.

Finally got it all back together tonight and now it won't start. I'd like to say I've checked everything but I finished up late and I'm sure I've missed something simple. This is mostly just venting and looking for anything I might have missed when I go back at it in the morning.

FWIW I know I have fuel. Couldn't convince the wife to come out and crank the engine while I checked for spark this late at night so I'm not positive there but I didn't touch anything related to the ignition other than removing the plug wires (all marked so I know they are back in the right spots)

It cranks fine just not firing off.

To remove the head I disconnected the upper coolant hose, temp sensor, heater hose and well, that's about it. I pulled it apart 2 weeks ago and I'm just getting back to getting it together so I'm wondering if I disconnected something else but I can't see anything I would have missed.

I did have to turn the engine over by hand while the head was off but I can't imagine that would have done anything with the timing as the distributor was still installed.

Check and double check the plug wires, both ends you may have wiggled something. Check the wires to the dizzy and the coil. Check the gasketed surfaces to make sure you are sealed properly.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

hank you for the tips. I did check all that again this morning to no avail.

My "helper" came out to crank the motor while I checked for spark and we've go a no spark situation.

Tried swapping the coil since I had one but no difference.

6v at the negative terminal of the coil. 6v at the positive when points are closed and 0v when open.

That's about the limit of my knowledge on points systems I'm afraid. I'm going to order a new points and condenser as well as the rest of the tune up bits, the old girl could use 'em anyway.

Comment

JT, it should show six volts at the positive coil terminal when the points are OPEN, and zero when they are closed, since the points make a ground. No matter, since your work indicates the points are doing their thing.

Did you check for spark at the coil? Is the rotor in place, and not damaged? It's real easy to slap a distributor cap back on, and forget the rotor, real face-palm moment, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

some times when you break a seal you need to reseal the combustion chamber it's a little old school trick but give it a try. remove spark plugs squirt some engine oil into the spark plug holes then reinstall plugs and and fire it up should smoke like crazy for a few seconds when clear up. it's worked for me.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

I have not checked for spark at the coil, my "helper" wandered away so I have to wait on that.

I had not touched the distributor during the process (head gasket replacement) so there is really no reason for the rotor to be missing, but I did check I pulled the distributor and repaired a frayed wire in there (from the coil to the points) cleaned everything up and checked the points while I was in there. Put it all back together and it seemed like *maybe* it was trying. One or two times the speed of the cranking jumped a bit (might just be wishful thinking)

Have to call it a day for now, wife has me scheduled for other things. I will definitely try putting some oil down in the cylinders once I can confirm I have spark or not again. Good idea.

Thank you to everyone for the input.

Comment

Did you drop a tool or something on the dizzy cap? a cracked cap will do it too. And check to see if you have spark off the coil wire to the dizzy.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Thanks to all and mostly to HotRodStude. After fixing the wire in the distributor Sunday I was pretty sure I had spark (no helper to crank while I checked but it sure did seem like it was trying harder) Tonite I went out and shot a little oil down each spark plug hole and she fired to life. Runs GREAT now. I just got her in February and was on the verge of selling because it was just too slow. I heard the "small" six was underpowered but this thing was scary slow, wouldn't break 25 in 2nd gear slow. After talking to the PO and discovering he swapped between the aluminum head for driving and the cast iron for show on a regular basis using the same head gasket and no sealant I started to think maybe there were other issues. I found some traces of oil in the coolant (thankfully no coolant in the oil) so I started down this path. Now she's much healthier and can get out of her own way. Still not a hot rod but not frightening to drive either.

Still need to re torque the head now that I've had her up to temp and flush the cooling system but its a much brighter day in Studebakerland.

Comment

Super!
                  Make double sure to keep your anti freeze in good shape and change it regularly....
                  Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Super!
                    Make double sure to keep your anti freeze in good shape and change it regularly....
                    Jeff[8D]

Absolutely, so far she's been confined to local trips but there's a show next month about an hour away and I've been going through everything to make sure she is ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X