Pertronix wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix wanted

Well, I offered Scott some advice on his 62 Hawk and the possible problems he was having on this forum, just this morning... but still no solution on what my problem is, which I have been battling since February of this year. I took the points out, and after a combined total of maybe 500 miles on the new set of points, they are once again fried!!! I checked to see how much the points and condensor are (its the combined model) and was told it was $25.00 plus tax!!So, for a few dollars more, I have decided to go with a Pertronix conversion. The car is dead at a friend's home 20 miles away and its Saturday so I am trying to find someone to get the kit from ASAP!! Any suggestions? I have tried calling Fairborn Parts, but no response yet.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

If you have a Delco window distributor, you should be able to find the Pertronix unit locally. That is essentially a standard GM points type distributor. Try the speed shops in your area.

As to the fried points, the first thing I would check is to insure you have only 6V (or so) at the + terminal of the coil with the car running. If you have 12v there, then someone has bypassed the ballast resistor or resistor wire. In any case, you should be able to just clean up the points enough to get it running to drive 20 miles.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Mr Steinkamp. After checking the resistor, check the coil, and make sure it does not have an internal short. I had a coil that kept eating the points.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions! I put a pertronix coil a few month ago. It has an internal resistor and I had to run a new wire without resistance to it. I started having problems back in February, thinking it was vapor lock. I replaced both fuel filters, the one at the carb and the one at the tank. I also put the new coil in, thinking that was my problem. Also put in an auxiliary electronic fuel pump. Finally changed plugs too. Still the same problem. When we went to check the dwell, we set it, but it wouldn't stay put. Pulled the points and saw they were fried. The points aren't old at all. Oh well, I've been putting off going to the PErtronix pointless distributor anyway!

Comment

I, too, experienced burned points. In the process of installing the Pertronix distributor and coil. I found that the coil had been wired backwards. In a '60 Lark, it had been wired with the pos terminal toward the distributor.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
          X