Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Radiator Hoses

1954 Studebaker Commander Coupe 232 V/8

A few days ago, I returned my engine to running condition after five years storage. In addition to other engine preparation following storage; I also flushed the cooling system, replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, all hoses and OEM style spring clamps. I used 50 / 50 coolant mix, and pressurized the system according to the service manual instructions.

After pressurizing the system, both radiator hoses began to leak at the thermostat housing and waterpump return hose. I replaced my OEM clamps with racheting type, and the leak stopped.

Engine runs great!

Any thoughts where I messed up?

Oran

Oran Ashley
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Oran

You answered the question when you found the gear clamps worked.

The reasons are potentially: Hoses older and harded, If newer hoses-thay may be thinner walled, The outlet surfaces have corroded with time and are rougher and possibly more difficult to seal.

There are probably others but you seem to have the problem resolved.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ora Ashley

A few days ago, I returned my engine to running condition after five years storage. In addition to other engine preparation following storage; I also flushed the cooling system, replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, all hoses and OEM style spring clamps. I used 50 / 50 coolant mix, and pressurized the system according to the service manual instructions.
      After pressurizing the system, both radiator hoses began to leak at the thermostat housing and waterpump return hose. I replaced my OEM clamps with racheting type, and the leak stopped.
      New hoses do have thinner walls. The spring clamps, made for thicker walls, do not tighten enough.
      SDC National Judging rules have recognized this and now allow the gear-type clamps with no penalty.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob and Paul,

Thanks for the quick response, sounds like this is one I can mark "solved".

Now on to more challenges!

Oran

quote:Originally posted by 53k

quote:Originally posted by Ora Ashley

New hoses do have thinner walls. The spring clamps, made for thicker walls, do not tighten enough.
        SDC National Judging rules have recognized this and now allow the gear-type clamps with no penalty.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Oran Ashley
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
        X