PDA

View Full Version : At least you'll know how many MPG you get!

Johnnywiffer
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
http://tinyurl.com/o6cy4e 13th pic down [:o)]

John

rockne10
08-12-2009, 08:20 PM
It can get expensive, running on anti-freeze. It costs more than gas.

DEEPNHOCK
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Man-o-man John...
Give us a hint before you send us on a snipe hunt.
Obscure has to have some context...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

http://tinyurl.com/o6cy4e 13th pic down [:o)]
John

Johnnywiffer
08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

Well, heck! I thot I made it easy for ya. When I saw that plastic bottle with the hose in the top, I thot it was a red-neck idea for the radiator over-flow--'til I saw where the hose came from.

In the '50s, my 1st car was a '41 Chevy with a hole in the line inside the tank. I had traded a calf to my GFs brother, Morris, who had conveniently forgotten to tell me of that malady. Whenever it got down to 1/4 full, it was outa gas. Being poor, (after all, gas WAS up to about a quarter a gallon!) I couldn’t always afford to keep the gas level above that hole, so one day I just cut the line past the fuel pump and ran it thru the fire wall, into the interior. Set a 1-gallon glass jug on the floor hump, the stiff metal gas line kept it from sliding around. Kept a 5-gallon can of gas in the trunk.

Whenever it ran low (could see the level thru the jug) I’d just pull over, drag out my trusty funnel, put more gas in the bottle and keep goin'. It was slightly inconvenient and there was a slight fragrance from the gas but since, at 16, I was indestructible, didn't smoke, what was the prob?

My GF, Pat, thot it was cool (at least I HAD a car!) and when she'd sit close to me, she'd kinda wrap one arm around me and her loafers around the jug (picture THAT!) to help hold us both in place. But once her father found out about it (my father NEVER did!), she couldn't go out with me in that car until I fixed it. Since I was in HS and didn't have a job, it took a while. I finally just traded it for a '38 Olds with primitive Hydra-Matic (had a clutch) that vapor locked worse than my '54 Commander Starliner, but that's another story.

At least that hose in pic 13 doesn’t run into the interior!

John