Looking for parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for parts...

I am looking for the "rock guards" for the lower rear quarter panels for a 1951 Studebaker (they sit just in front of the rear wheel well). Anyone here that may have a lead or suggestion as to where I might find those items. These guards (I believe are stainless steel).

Thanks,

Ron

It is a 2 door.

Ron

Comment

They show up on Ebay every once in a while, and may be available from one or more of the Studebaker vendors linked on our home page. The stainless steel ones are fairly easy to find. The rubber one are buggers to find, just ask me.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Easy to find???? Wow Bob, what vendors would you recommend??? I wanna stock up![}]

Ronster, expect to pay over $200 for just useable ones. Nice ones - think $500 or so![8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Easy to find???? Wow Bob, what vendors would you recommend??? I wanna stock up![}]

Ronster, expect to pay over $200 for just useable ones. Nice ones - think $500 or so![8D]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well geesh Mr. Biggs, I dunno what to say. I don't keep track of inquiries I can't use, so I can't report on them. I spent a year or more trying to find my rubber ones and kept finding SS ones on Ebay and everyone I called had only the SS ones. A few months ago I discovered a guy here in town that had 5 Studes that I posted about. Both of the 51s had SS guards on them, but only one pair was useable, so someone here on the forum bought them for about $40, I think. That's all I know. And that's why I think they aren't that hard to find. Maybe I should trade the repair of my OD for a pair of guards.

Comment

I called several of the links from the home page. No luck. I was told I may be looking for the "impossible". Not to sound stupid, but were they standard equipment on all 50 and 51's?

Comment

They were standard equipment on all 50-51s, but the stainless ones would have come only on the higher trim level cars OR a customer could specify them or buy them as an accessory item to replace the more common rubber ones. That Bob deems the rubber ones are harder to find is probably true. Rubber rots - stainless don't. Guess which ones were more likely to last thru 60 years of sun and the elements.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

They show up on Ebay every once in a while, and may be available from one or more of the Studebaker vendors linked on our home page. The stainless steel ones are fairly easy to find. The rubber one are buggers to find, just ask me.

I have a pair of rubber ones for a 4 door somewhere in my stash. I could probably find them and part with them if someone needs them.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

}}}}} You might be a redneck = if you can find only the stainless ones and carefully paint them with Rhino Liner or a good grade of rubberized undercoating-sound deadner.}}}} You could try for the smoothest finish you are capable of doing. Also, Grainger industrial supply has some sort of spray rubber at about 20 bucks for a 20 ounce spray can. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I've wondered for some years why a vendor hasn't had these made (the 2-dr variety) just as they have the gravel guards for C-cab (P1) rear fenders. You'd be hard pressed to tell the ABS repops from the original rubber ones if you didn't pick at them with a fingernail.[:0] They could be used on 47 thru 52 2-drs - lotsa application coverage.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

I was told the 50-51 are unique to that application for the SS ones.

Comment

ISTR there was a perfect NOS set that sold on ebay a few months ago for $1000[:0].
                          If you find a dented pair cheap, maybe Matthew could practice on them for you.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There were three styles of stainless guards that covered these cars from '47 thru '52, but they will interchange as far as fitting goes.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

The "C" custom model of the 1950's did NOT come with any type of gravel guards. The custom was the bottom of the line CASO car in 1950. My does not have any and there are no holes drilled for them. I have had the car for 33 years. I have never looked serious for gravel guards, but know they are not that easy to find in usable condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X