Western Australia 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Australia 2011

In last months TW's was a tour sponsored by the SNM to jolly ole' England...sounded interesting

Then while reading the "what's happening" section of my August TW there was the posting for the Australian National Meet, April 23-24,2011.

Question: Would there be enough interest to fill a plane for such an event, and no, not a piper cub? Other than the trip to England has there ever been a 'group' function abroad?

And we could be back in time for Springfield.

Just thinkin' out loud...sort of.

Bill

Bill Foy
    Kingston, Ontario
    1964 Wagonaire Slider
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Bill--

Wow you're ambitious. That is an interesting idea, too. ("Hands across the Commonwealth"?) I have long wanted to visit Oz and/or NZ; that could be a good reason finally to do so. Hmmmm...!

S.

Comment

Allow me to echo Steve's Hmmmmm.....

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I went to the '83 Meet in Perth and it was perfect. Freemantle is between Perth and the ocean, like Long Beach is to L.A. The people down there like Americans so be prepared for a welcome to remember. Perth is also a stop for the U.S. Navy and locals used to volunteer to have servicemen stay at their homes while in Port. Easter is the last big weekend of "summer" so the weather is great. Can't encourage you to visit enough.

That is not the only Meet I attended down under, but the 1st one I really remember.

Comment

Chartering a plane to do that? Sounds like it could work. The main problem would be to get people to commit to it, wich might not be to hard.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Well, it might be easier to charter a block of seats. That way, if one can't fill an entire plane, one might still get an excellent group rate.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You'd have to get a block of seats. No US Airline goes to Perth, you could fly American/Qantas though. I'm not attending the meet, a 3 day drive from here (Adelaide) and the information so far is unconvincing. There appears to be no arranged accomodation (book it yourself is what I heard at our club meeting), the WA folks aren't staying in Fremantle but driving there daily. We await further information, but I'm sure you'd have a nice time in OZ, and make sure to bring Matthew B.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I don't think Matthew can get his hammer through security
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

<snip>
                We await further information, but I'm sure you'd have a nice time in OZ, and make sure to bring Matthew B.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Would a trailer queen become a......container princes? If one was to ship a vehicle [?] [)][)]

Australia flights, cold call some travel agents and get a feel for what it may cost.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

It would be wonderful if a group of US members could make the trek across to sunny Western Australia.
                    Flights aren't a problem, there are US carriers that fly to the east coast of Australia and Asian carriers that fly to Perth from most major cities in the US. Those that came to the Perth in 1999 enjoyed themselves so look at it as a reason to see Australia.
                    We are happy to assist anyone in finding accommodation .
                    Fremantle has an assortment of hotels,motels and short stay apartments to cater for singles,families and groups.
                    If anyone would like anymore info don't hesitate to contact me of the forum.
                    pb

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by 63r2

It would be wonderful if a group of US members could make the trek across to sunny Western Australia.
                      Flights aren't a problem, there are US carriers that fly to the east coast of Australia and Asian carriers that fly to Perth from most major cities in the US. Those that came to the Perth in 1999 enjoyed themselves so look at it as a reason to see Australia.
                      We are happy to assist anyone in finding accommodation .
                      Fremantle has an assortment of hotels,motels and short stay apartments to cater for singles,families and groups.
                      If anyone would like anymore info don't hesitate to contact me of the forum.
                      pb

Peter, I believe there is some substance in what avantilover says about clear information coming out of Western Australia for the 2011 National Meet. You guys need to put a clear & attractive presentation in Turning Wheels in the near future to attract international members to your Meet. There was good representation at both the previous two Nationals in Perth including notables such as Lionel Stone, Doug Hughes & Ed Reynolds.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
                      MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                      X