1950 turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 turn signals

From what I can find the 1950 champion with manual trans and OD did not come with turn signals but that it was an option. Some one has put an after market turn signal hose clamped to the steering column of my car and I would like to get rid of it. My question is in Texas can I just take it off and tell the person inspecting my car that this car did not come with turn signals or do I have to have them and if so were can I get the original setup for my car? Thanks

I think you would be better off looking for an original 50 setup and installing it in your car. I have them on my Champion and they don't look very complicated. Someone on here has to have a 1950 parts car.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

You should be okay in Texas...especially if you have historic plates.
      I never had any problems with my old car there.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I added original 1950 Champ turn signals to my '50 years ago (10) and it was very simple. Every thing connected into the factory harness and worked just as easy as pie.

Comment

Mine has them and they look like they were installed at the factory even though they aren't listed on the order sheet with the other options....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

You are absolutely ok in the state of Texas with whatever equipment came on the car from the factory. No signals, one brake light, no safety belts, whatever. The factory did not put signals in the 50 Champion, but many individuals have.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

My only question is - Why would someone want to drive around in today's traffic without turn signals? At a safety check you may pass, but if you are involved in an accident and found to be at fault because you didn't signal, you could have a lot of problems. Also, young people driving today probably wouldn't have a clue as to what your arm signals mean. I would fix them so they work, but that's just me.

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Comment

IF they are the same as 52, I have a switch, it needs to be re-wired but there are only 6 wires IIRC. They do NOT self cancel, But one gets used to that!

It might need a new plastic knob, but SI has them

Jim

Comment

My 51 Champion didn't come with blinkers and I have been driveing it around for 26 years without them but every time I stick my arm out the window to do a hand signal people start waveing at me.

james d thornton

Comment

My "50 Champion came from the factory pre-wired for turn signals, even though it did not come with the signals installed. It is my understanding all 50's came pre-wired from the factory. I purchased an after market switch at a swap meet and installed it in my 50 Champion and it self cancels, and works great. You can tell if your car is pre-wired by removing the rear tail light lense. If its prewired, there will be an extra light socket in the housing for the turn signal bulb.

Comment

They sure look like they were installed at the factory. Is this what the dealer-installed unit looks like? I seriously doubt that the woman who bought my car new installed them herself but I would think that the dealer would install them if asked....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Dealer or Factory installed - they would look like that. They were an option in 1950. Everyone knew hand signals back then and there were LOTSA cars from the 30s still running around with only one taillight.[:0]

Jim, if you've got sure enough Studebaker turn signals on your 52, they're supposed to self cancel. Same with the 1950 edition. There's supposed to be a little tab that fits to the steering sector shaft that actuates the TS switch to cancel it. Maybe you're missing that piece.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X