Color photo of original Avanti interior needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color photo of original Avanti interior needed

Anyone out there with a color photo of a 63-63 Avanti with the "salt & pepper" red and black carpet in place?
    Phantom just sent me a sample of theirs and it looks awfully close to the carpet sample shown on TheAvanti.com (a close up photo taken from a dealer order book).

So I'm considering getting the Phantom carpet after a couple of years of thinking I'd have to settle for an all-black reproduction kit.

BUT, before I take the leap, could someone postor email an interior shot so I can see what it will look like? I'm not 100% sure I like the red & black carpet...even if it is original.
    Thanks.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

It probably would depend on the color of the car and the color of the rest of the interior. What's yours?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

It probably would depend on the color of the car and the color of the rest of the interior. What's yours?

Black seats & lower door panels
      Fawn dash & upper door panels.
      I believe it is called interior color scheme #6...(at least that what it's called on theavanti.com website's list of interiors).
      The car is Avanti red.

Allan Barth (aka oltrknut) has done a first rate paint job. It looks like glass. I'm sure its far, far better than ever came out of the factory.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Red salt & pepper carpet Is correct with the black and fawn interior trim with red paint.
        Avanti Red paint (P6334) was offered with the following interior trim combinations;
        Combination 2: Fawn upper, Elk lower with black carpeting.
        Combination 6: Fawn upper, Black lower with Red/black salt & pepper carpet.
        Combination 7: Fawn upper, Red lower with Red/Black salt & pepper carpet.
        Combination 2 was the only trim combination to offer solid black during the time that the salt & pepper carpet was offered. It was also only available with Avanti Gold (P6333) or Avanti Red (P6334) paint. It was ONLY late in production that the salt & pepper carpet colors were done away with.
        There have been several attempts over the years to reproduce the Salt and Pepper carpets, but none have matched the original with regards to the correct ratio of color to black.
        R2Andy
        R2Andrea

Comment

I have both the correct color in my car. And I have some of the old carpet pieces. I can send a photo from the house this evening.

Phantom does not have the correct color. At least they didn't when I spoke with them.

What they have is, I think called C3. It is the red/black corvette color, but the color of red is incorrect.

The color you need is called Firethorne red. I made my own out of some carpet purchased from http://www.stockinteriors.com/reques...20090811121345

Tuxedo Loop

Tuxedo was used in American made vehicles in the 50's & 60's as an optional upgrade to the 80/20 loop style. It looks similar to the 80/20 loop carpet but has black highlights in it.

"Due to the reproduction process and the difference in monitor calibration, exact colors are difficult to show. These samples below are close to the actual color, but might differ slightly for your monitor. If you have any doubt about the color you need, please click here to request samples to be sent by mail.

Click on the thumbnail to see a larger example of the color you are interested in."

They have bulk. Just go there and click on samples and tuxedo. You may have to call them though, as I recall having a firethorn tuxedo option, which matched the pristine part of my original carpet exactly.

They will send you samples so that you can directly compare. The carpet is not jute backed, it is some kind of silicone or rubber. And it isn't the best quality carpet available. But it looks exactly like the original. And it was like $33 per yard.

I bought a tentmaker sewing machine on Ebay for low $$ - which you can sell later (or make tents). Three yards of carpet and some black vinyl for the trim. I even took the door panels apart. I wasn't too much of a challenge. And it was the most trying that there was. All of the old pieces make a good template,

The hardest part, IMO, is replacing the the piece on the driver's side firewall, because of the steering column seal that uses cheap plastic rivets.

Jute padding, vinyl, sewing machine and carpet, all told, I spent like $450. And I could sell the sewing machine ...

========================
          63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
          Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
          X