• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday 8/10 Eye Candy

EMF.

Every Mechanical Failure

Comment

The closest I ever got to driving something like this was a short spin in a 1913 Overland Speedster. All I remember of it was that it would really scoot once it got rolling.
      Has anyone else here, driven something (a Stude or an EMF maybe) or other such mount? Model Ts don't count.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A friend of mine has a '21 Studebaker Light Six. Boy, can that car fly! Only problem is that it has only 2 wheel brakes.
        The engine purrs like a kitten. No vibration at all.
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I've never driven them but I've had a ride or two in our neighbor's White(he wanted it that way when he restored it) 30's Model A. Despite the mechanical brakes, and top speed of about 30 mph, it was a hoot running around the hay bales in.
          Then a couple years later, there was the ride I had in our club members Piece Arrow. The first thing I did when I got into the buckets was reach around to find the seat belts, only of course to realize there was none. Since this vehicle was a luxury car for its day, it would easily keep up with the traffic, which at the time it was running about 45-50 mph in open traffic.

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
          [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I drove my 1929 Studebaker a lot. Different era,but a really great car. Ive driven T's and A's and a 28 Desoto my Dad had.

Comment

Never driven anything that old, but Steve Cade has ridden me around in his 1913 Stude, and his 1911 Flanders. [8D]

Comment

My'25 Tourer is the best of my old cars, it will cruise at 50 MPH. the '16 roadster is fun, especially if you do not have to change gears too often, and the '13 is a nightmare! I have yet to be able to sort the gears out in it yet, but it will come.

Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1913 SA25 Town Car
                1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

The Surrey Museum here has a 1917 Stude SF4 touring which I have driven on several occasions. It is a surprisingly easy car to drive. Cruising speed is about 30 mph. Low gear is good for 3-4 mph, 2nd 8-10 mph. The differential mounted transmission shifts very easily.

This car is a testament to Studebaker quality. It was used as a stagecoach between New Westminster, and Haney BC, a 60 mile round trip twice a day, from 1917 to about 1928. Guesstimated mileage at that point was about 400,000. It was sold to a sawmill which removed the engine (fortunately, they kept the body) and used it to run a saw from 1928 to 1964. How many hours that adds up to is as much your guess as mine. It was then purchased by the fellow I bought my 27 Dictator from, and put back together. In 1971, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of British Columbia joining Canadian Confederation, it was driven from Vancouver to Prince George and back, a round trip of about 1100 miles. Prior to 1928, we don't know, but from the time sawmill owned it to the present day, the engine has never been overhauled.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X