Pick up a Stude with your Groceries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up a Stude with your Groceries?

It was a pleasant surprise to turn down an aisle in Honey's Jubilee Foods in Kanab, Utah and see this:

It appears to be a solid truck with the usual dings in the fenders and grill but mostly surface rust. However, the cab corners are rusty as expected. The bed was full of watermelons so I don't know what shape it's in. I looked underneath and saw that there is still an engine and transmission in it.

The front bumper is from some other vehicle and the rear bumper is missing. I tried to open the door to find the VIN but I couldn't get it open. The hubcaps are a mixture of Stude styles and are all pretty dinged up. Based on the size of the wheels I think it might be a 1 ton pickup. The headlight trims are missing. It has a hood ornament but I'm not sure it's original. It's some sort of Art-deco style that looks like the 49-50 Ford car hood ornament.

Someone near southwest Utah might want to see if you could convince the store owner to accept a swap of some old brand X pickup for this M-series truck.

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Hard to imagine th eol' relic could lead a much easier existence than right where it is[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

But at $.45/lb., is it a good deal??? [}]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Only if the watermelons are included.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Missed you at the BBQ today Jim... [B)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Hi Mark.

How was the turnout?

A couple of weeks ago my daughter was with some friends in Duncan and she spotted a gold Studebaker. I was very surprised that she knew it was a Stude because she has never attended any meets with me or looked at TW as far as I know. I guess she has caught the bug somehow. From the description of the car it sounded like it might have been Tom Fiddler's 57 Silver Hawk.

As for the BBQ today, we got back very late last night from a trip to the Grand Canyon and spent today putting our house back in order and gearing up to go back to work tomorrow. We spotted this M-series truck in southern Utah and a 49 'Studeblazer' (see other post on Forum) in northern Arizona but no other Studes along the way. Too bad.

Cheers,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
            Jim Mann
            Victoria, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

Hi Mark.

How was the turnout?

Just 14, but we ate really well. Planning is in the works for a winery tour on Sept. 13th.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island Chapter

Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Hmm, with them watermelons, particularly when the sun hit them just right, it makes me kinda hungry......
                Oh scratch that, holy he** in all of Hades that skunk that just rolled through just killed any and all of that fantasy I just had for them, never mind!!

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

What the ??????? How did they get that truck in there?

Comment

I think I see drops of oil on the floor tile?hard to beleive they got it in there without rust and dirt every where,oh i guess the stock boy must have been busy mopping!!!

Joseph R. Zeiger
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Maybe the brakes failed when it was delivering the melons and it crashed through the wall from the loading bay?

It's actually sitting up on axle stands with a display of old oil cans below and on the seat. I think it's a great display case.

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada

Comment

Thats classic! I have no problem with someone using a Studebaker as a store display as long as it is preserved and is noticed! I wonder how many locals who shop there would say something like "Oh, yeah, Studebakers, they never made trucks!" or "Studebaker, what is that?"

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

That is soo funny,
                          I live in California and if someone put that truck with all those (hopefully) empty cans in a grocery store they would be shut down within minutes.
                          But hey if that did happen the truck might go pretty cheap.
                          Dean.

Comment

Working...
                          X