territorial Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• territorial Cruiser

I think I am going to nueter my 63 cruiser as it always wants to mark its territory. It has 75k and wasn't run for about 20 years until last year so the engine seals are now leaking. I thought I would do the front and rear and me maybe the valve seals as it likes to blow smoke going up long hills. (we have a lot of them here in Idaho) I think it is building up at the back of the head and then being drawn in to the intake, although it doesn't seem to puff smoke on the downhill when you hit the gas. Should I be looking for anything else since I will have the pan, timing and valve covers off? It runs very well otherwise with no other dissernable leaks.
    Thanks
    Rob

Hi, Rob,

You didn't mention if it was a 6 or an 8-cyl, but symptoms and causes are similar.

FWIW, blowing smoke going up hill but not down may be a sign of worn rings. High vacuum is what pulls oil past valve seals and up hills vaccum drops to near zero. Going down hill on a closed throttle, vacuum goes near 20 inches and sucks the oil past worn valve stem seals or no valve stem seals. Blowing smoke going up hill can be an indication of high combustion pressures leaking past worn rings. Sometimes the smoke is coming out the road draft tube or the breathers as well as the exhaust.

My Stude V8 oil consumption drops to nothing when I make it a point to kick it out of gear every time I let off the throttle. It has good compression, but no valve stem seals.

Recommend running both a dry and a wet compression test on your engine to determine the effectiveness of your ring seal.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

It is a 289 2bbl, full flow filter. single exhaust. I'll do the compression tests first then move on. It seems to have good vacuum and only starts to smoke after a long pull up hill. The pcv valve is clean. No sign of oil blowing from breather caps. the heat riser is in good operating condition. The smoke is definately coming from the tail pipe. I want it to be someting other than worn rings (please).
      Thanks,
      Rob

Comment

Has anyone tried the new valve seals Fairborn is selling? just wondering if they held up any better than the stock ones (not that that would be difficult.) I keep wanting to buy some because it's a product that's been needed for a while, but I have nothing to try them on (fresh motor in my car; heads were done with Teflon valve seals before I bought it.)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
        X