Cat Whiskers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Whiskers?

All the windows in my '60' Lark VIII raddle. The felt (cat whiskers?)in the channels is either worn out or gone. This is something I haven't replaced before, so I'm looking for advise on where to buy, how to install and what holds it in. Anything else will be helpful.
    Thanks in advance.

Jim Barker
    '60' Lark VIII
    Jim Barker
    '70' Avanti II

Jim,

Most of our bigger Stude vendors will have the channels and whiskers and associated clips. Better off to buy from them than to deal with a local glass shop in my opinion.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jim,
      Front channel is straight, non-flexible and riveted to brackets within the door shell. Top/rear channel is flexible to conform to glass curvature. Clips, available from our vendors, hold the ends of the flexible channel in place. I usually add adhesives to the flexible channel where it seats to the door.
      The "whiskers" along the bottom edge of the window sill should clip to the exterior door shell, and are probably stapled to the interior door trim panel.
      As Bob indicated, you'll pay more to have a glass shop do what you can accomplish yourself.
      Everything you need is available from our Great vendors; channels and whiskers pre-cut and ready to install.
      If you are more hands on and want to save a few bucks you can get channel and whisker in bulk from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa

or from JC Whitney and cut your own.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had a lot of trouble with the cat whiskers on my 1953 c coupe. My brother in law in california who is in the glass business and does custom cars advised me to throw the clips away and use 3M double side tape. It worked out to be a real easy solution to the whisker problem and it looked great and worked fine..joedipipi@msn.com

Comment

P.s. I dont think this would work for the window channel but it was great for the cat whiskers that keep[ rain and rattles away..joedipipi@msn.com

Comment

You forgot to say if your car is a Hardtop or 2dr or 4 door or convertible

Look at the tag on the firewall under the hood on the passenger side (LHC)

Comment

Sorry guys, I forgot to tell you my Stude is a 2 door sedan. Mr. Biggs I agree it is always better to buy from our Stude vendors then other sources. I have body and chassis catalogs to get the part numbers from.
              Brad thanks for the info, this will get me started on my way to quiet windows.
              Thanks Joe for the tip on 3M double sided tape.
              Our forum is always a great source of information for our Studebakers.

Jim Barker
              '60' Lark VIII
              Jim Barker
              '70' Avanti II

Comment

Working...
              X