63 Avanti GM alternator conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti GM alternator conversion?

I am thinking of converting the charging system in this Avanti to a GM internal regulator unit. I've looked for threads on the forum and have not found anything. I'm sure there is lots of discussion on this somewhere, and also in TW. Any help finding info will be greatly appreciated. B.V.

Comment

Are you having problems with the stock setup, or are you just wanting to do something different? Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Yes as a matter of fact I am having some issues with the stock set-up. I initially installed a transpo regulator which worked very well for about a month. Coincidentally at about the time it failed I also installed a Mallory distributor (which I haven't gotten straightened out yet either). The regulator failed, so I bought another and installed it. Started the engine and still no charging, so I pulled off the alternator and discovered the real problem. The brush holder broke and something inside is shorted out - resulting in no output. I am thinking of putting in the GM alternator instead of rebuilding the original. The question is, will it fit in place on the bracket etc.? This is an R2 engine, so there is more concern about fit. Thanks B.V.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bill van alstyne

I am thinking of converting the charging system in this Avanti to a GM internal regulator unit. I've looked for threads on the forum and have not found anything. I'm sure there is lots of discussion on this somewhere, and also in TW. Any help finding info will be greatly appreciated. B.V.
          Here is the thread on the forum :

I also wrote an article for Avanti magazine a few years ago.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bill van alstyne

This is an R2 engine, so there is more concern about fit. Thanks B.V.
            I believe a different one is required for an R2, I dont have the link
            handy but I know its been covered.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I'm a believer in keeping the original systems on a Studebaker - up to a point. For example, I put a Mopar electronic distributor on my Avanti 13 years ago, and haven't touched it since.

In the case of the electrical system, I re-built the Prestolite alternator and replaced the original voltage regulator with an electronic unit from Dave T-bow ( phone 978-897-3158) also 13 years ago, and it has worked flawlessly. That's the route I would go - just make sure your auto electric place knows Prestolites (most do) and does quality work. It's the simplest way to go, especially since an R-2 has clearance issues. Russ Farris
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
              X