Shop safety and Brake Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop safety and Brake Cleaner

Just read this article. Was kinda scary as it was just something I might think to do.

Blake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

--

-1953 Studebaker Champion 4dr
    -1960 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
    -1974 & 1975 Jensen-Healey(s)
    -1978 Triumph Spitefire (2)

Interesting indeed! That's one excellent article!! Thanks!!!

Freon R-12 when exposed to open flame also creates phosgene, known as Mustard Gas in WWI.

I'm currently classified as 100% disabled for life thanks to a single toxic chemical exposure. This man in the article will hopefully recover but for others like me it can be a very dark prognosis for the duration.

One absolutely MUST exercise extraordinary precautions when dealing with chemicals, especially caustic solvents. Believe me, it only takes one hit, a moment, and life can change dramatically and very unpleasantly, or end abruptly!

I urge all of you to 'READ & FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS & CONSULT MSDS FOR FURTHER PRECAUTION' whenever you're going to use a chemical, even a familiar one you never checked on before.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Comment

Phosgene is nasty stuff, and was indeed used as a war gas in WWI, but it is not mustard gas. The latter is an oily, volatile liquid, and raises nasty blisters on exposed skin. The fumes, if inhaled, mess up your lungs and airway.

I'm not trying to minimize the dangers of phosgene, because it is nasty stuff, possibly even moreso than mustard gas. You can create phosgene if ANY chlorinated hydrocarbon is heated or partially combusted. I've gotten a whiff or two, and backed away right quick, too.

BTW, the "California Compliant" brake cleaner is a mixture of alcohol and toluene, not the tetrachlorethylene used elsewhere.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Nicely said Gord. Dead on.

Here in Michigan I've not found the chlorine containing brake cleaner for some time. I like it because it is a very effective degreaser with no residue and is non-flammable.

I'll scour yard sales etc. to find mine.

Yep!!! I know well the Phosgene issue but don't heat it and you're good to go.

Bob

Comment

Heck... They used to use carbon-tetrechloride in fire extinguishers....

(But it is good info just the same)
          Jeff[8D]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow, this is important info Jody, thanks for posting! I use this exact brake cleaner a lot for cleaning all sorts of things.

A good reminder that a lot of these chemicals are health hazards if not used properly.

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
            X