Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project, Parts, or Pass? Help me decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project, Parts, or Pass? Help me decide!

I was presented with the following as an opportunity for purchase. A 1960 Champ Truck and a 1966 Lark 4dr (can't remember what type it is). They're roughly $300.00 each and sold as a set. Here's what I saw:

The Champ truck (body tag was 6E-T8)

The 1966 Lark 4 door:

This isn't the right engine I think. It shouldn't be a Stude Engine in '66?

Now, I know there's a fair bit wrong with these cars (understatement of the week). That being said, what would you do? Are these Projects, Parts cars or something to Pass on?

Thanks!
    Jody

--

If you have the money, space, and the time, go for it! Nothing that we would take on, but we've been in over our heads before.

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

I wouldn't think of trying to resurrect that 4 door, but the T cab might be a good project if the floors aren't gone or some other issue that doesn't show in the pictures. For $300.00 you could probably buy the pickup, set it on some tires, clean it good and take some good pictures and Ebay it for a small profit IF it's fairly solid.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

(IMHO)If the seller would take $500 for the pair,I would part out the '66 and see if you could make a go of the truck.That looks like the better (and more desireable)of the two.Keep us posted as to what you wind up doing!

Comment

Depends on the type of person you are, how easy and far moving these would be for you, and your storage situation. If you like screwing with this stuff, try to clean up the truck and see if you can make something of it. Aside from a cheap parts car, the Lark doesn't look worth the effort.

If it was me, and they were within say 30 miles, I'd offer $4-500 for the pair. Any farther, needing two trips, I'd say less. But mostly I'd decide on the spot That's the beauty of junk; the stakes are low

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

In both vehicles, I've seen folks pay more and start with less. There's less rust in the expected places than we see in our part of the country.
            If he won't go $500 you're still not upside down.
            Clean it all and assess what you've got.
            The truck's the better candidate.
            If the sedan's not worth the restoration, it's certainly worth more than $300 in parts. If it's parted out, be happy it doesn't have a McKinnon.

I have the $600. If I had the time, I would:

BUY

CLEAN

ASSESS

DECIDE

PROCEED

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Jody, I often use a phrase..."I only have two limitations...Intellect and energy!" But when it comes to projects like these you will need to consider a few other things. Like space...when you dismantle a car or truck for restoration, it will take up room of about 5 vehicles. Location, some nearby neighbors may not be so receptive to someone banging out new sheet metal panels at 2 o'clock in the morning. Your home-owner's insurance company might have a problem with engine hoist, welders, and other various potentially hazardous tools littering your property. Resources, I happened to be in a profession that brought me into contact and opportunities that enabled me to trade and barter for materials and services that I would have been hard pressed to afford if I had had to purchase them outright. Time...one of my projects took six years from start to finish. The longer you take to do a project...the less likely it will be completed. The longer a vehicle remains apart...the less likely it will ever be re-assembled. Either resolve to complete the project or don't start it. If you decide to do a "Rat Rod" or "Beater" just be sure to make it safe and mechanically sound. Your money..your time. If I had enough of both time and money, then I would still be annoying my neighbors and depressing the value of their property.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That 66 probably has a flanged axle type 44 rear. If so, there's $300 in value right there. The truck - for $300, you can't go wrong. Between that decent-looking tailgate, what appears to be a factory rear (and fairly rare) bumper - as well as the chromed grille, you've got your $300 back and then some. And that's NOT to say the truck ain't saveable on the whole.

Edit: forgot to notice that the 66 is a standard shift. There's another 150 or more for a good T-86 O/D tranny!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Both look workable, but I would buy both, pick one and sell the other.
                  The '66 Crusier should have a flanged axle, but it doesnt look like it
                  is a total loss. Did the floors have rubber matt and not carpet? The
                  pictures look like it could be floor pulled up or rotted metal. If the
                  floors are seriously rotted thats a sign of a parts car. As other have
                  said you really have to check it all out first. The fact the '66 is
                  missing the air cleaner makes me worry about its internals. It has an
                  early engine, since it has the front vent stack/oil filter. What's odd
                  is that plate that is where the generator (or actually for that year
                  an altenator) should be. Four hole pattern, what might that be for?

Perhaps this is a special '66 that 'accidentally' had a experimental
                  Studebaker engine installed? Yah right.

The truck bed could be swapped out for a modern bed, a Dodge Dakota
                  truck had a midsized bed that might work nicely.

Anyway, good luck with which ever you decide.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Thanks all! You pretty much told me what I told my wife you'd tell me... so now I have the go ahead to buy stuff.

(*It's called the collective insanity manouver*)
                    "Hey, I want to buy these cars."
                    "No you already have enough."
                    "But it's a great deal!"
                    "You already have enough."
                    "Well, how's this, if the rest of of the community thinks it's a bad idea, then I won't do it."
                    "ok"
                    "Gee honey, all the Studebaker folks think it's a good idea"
                    (*big sigh*)
                    "Ok, then go buy them"

Man, I love my wife.

hee hee hee

--

Comment

Yep, for 500 or $600.00 you can't get hurt. []

Interesting how a former "Mechanic" owner was pretty good at taking engine components off of that '66 Commander, but just layed them nearby!
                      Oil filter base
                      Generator
                      Water Outlet
                      Air Cleaner?

You may find that the Stude. V-8 in the '66 is a better engine for the Champ, running them (or trying) should help decide! [^]

The mounting plate on the '66's Engine appears to be an Air Conditioning Compressor bracket. [:0]

By the way, the Champ is a '61 Deluxe Cab T6, with the fender mouldings removed or fenders changed.

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you have nothing better to do with your time go for it, both look nothing more than parts cars, engine in 66 is a Studebaker early not full flow even , floors look like junk, grille and trunk might be the best , rear end might just be a 27 and not a 44, maybe it got changed out also, better look,, I have scrapped out better cars that these but then I am on the west coast, have fun getting them home early chevy truck 5 lug wheels will fit the truck if there is none with the truck...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                        canbstudebakers-

]
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

You may find that the Stude. V-8 in the '66 is a better engine for the Champ, running them (or trying) should help decide! [^]

The mounting plate on the '66's Engine appears to be an Air Conditioning Compressor bracket. [:0]
                          That might be a toss-up. Looks like someone exchanged the 283 for a Stude engine in that one, and why they left the oil filter is laying loose like that.[8]

Craig

Comment

Hummmmm ... Just a thought ... you could put the '66 front clip on
                            the Champ truck, that would be interesting.

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I never let fear and good judgement get in my way yet...[]

Hey Aunt Bee Hello Gomer

Comment

Working...
                              X