removing rain gutter trim = 52 hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing rain gutter trim = 52 hardtop

On my '52 hardtop, how do I remove the rain gutter trim? (Without damaging it any worse than it is..)

On C/K cars, I've seen it successfully done with a bottle opener. But the 52 moulding is shaped differenly. Anybody ever done this before?

I've done it successfully. But I still can't answer your question becasue I don't remember exactly how i did it (11 years back). I would not use a bottle opener. Just a small flat screwdriver and exercise extreme patience.

Comment

Mine can off just like Dan's. I used a wide flat-blade screw driver and a soft hammer.

I think where folks get into trouble is they hit it too hard and one section gives.

Soft hits along the length and just work slowly.

Bob

Comment

Instead of a screwdriver, you may want to use the end of a paint mixing stick or piece of nylon bar.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Comment

I have used the handle of an old plastic tooth brush. Grind one end to a chisel edge and use a plastic tip hammer. Patience, along with lots of gentle nudging with the hammer will do the trick.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

James and I got Matthew to the shop today and showed him how to remove the trim. You take an old "church key" bottle opener, put some duct tape inside to prevent scratching. Start at one end and gently unsnap the stainless. We removed it from the 52,also the junked out 54 coupe and an old 60 Hawk. Didn't mess up anything. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
              X