No brake or turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No brake or turn signal

My 62 Hawk doestn't have a brake or turn signal on the right rear. Left side works fine. Both tail lights works and the rt front turn signal will blink slowly. There is no power in the turn/brake circuit to the right rear. Could the problem be in the turn signal switch? Or do I need to look at something else?

Ken

I would bet the switch but, before you tear in to it, have you checked for continuity from the wire that exits the column to the right brake light terminal? Could just be a broken wire. Since the tail light works it's probably not bad ground.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It's possible that the turn signal switch is bad as it's 47 years old and the contacts have worn out. But before tearing into the switch, be sure that the bulb and socket are good as I ran into that problem with a 63 Lark last week. It turned out that a brand new replacement bulb was defective and was causing the problem. Most of the replacement bulbs are being produced in China and the quality isn't like an American GE or Sylvania bulb. Bud

Comment

As Brad suggests, I'd check the connections at the block connector that the TS switch wires plug into - just a bit from where those wires exit the column. Could be a loose or crossed wire - or even some corrosion between the wire end bullets and the receptacle holes.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't see a reply that problem is yet solved, so:

Just ran into an unusual cause of turn signal failure on another brand, but a 42 year old truck. I had gone through every inch of the circuit and rebuilt the turn signal switch so I knew what should be good or bad. It turned out that the actual bulb socket, where that socket was crimped into the reflector housing, was slightly loose. It was just enough to lose continuity to ground and electrical flow also caused metal to corrode there.

Gave it a twist back & forth, flushed with some WD40, buttoned it up. This is a temporary fix until I can solder the two components together properly.

JimmieD

Comment

Have you replaced the right rear bulb? The brake and signal light use the bright filament. A right front signal working but blinking slowly is an indication of a burned out filament in a parallel circuit. Could it be that simple a fix ?
            The 1950 Champion Starlight
            Santa Barbara
            CA

Comment

Found the problem today after checking bulbs grounds and the switch. I knew I was getting power out of the steering column, so started checking the wire for power starting at the back of the car. I finally found that someone had cut and spliced the wire behind the front kick panel which had come apart. They stripped about 1/4" on insulation off both end and just twisted the ends together. No connector or even tape. It seem to be to bypass the connector between the dash harness and the rear wiring harness but I'm not sure what the reason for it was. Too bad I started at the wrong end of the car to check the wiring, but I thought the rear part of the harness was more prone to damage so that's where I started.

Ken

Comment

Working...
              X