Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Studebakers 1902-1966. Your answer

Studebaker Cooperator reads as follows:

This Standard Six Sport Roadster is the one millionth gasoline propelled car built under the Studebaker name exclusively. Vice president Paul G. Hoffman drove the car from the factory to the Administration Building where this photo, showing A. R. Erskine giving his approval of the car, was taken. Prior to 1911, when Mr. Erskine came to the corporation, cars were made under the names of E.M.F., Studebaker E.M.F., Garford, as well as the Studebaker electric.

Apparently then they did not include the Electrics and E.M.F, Flanders (though not mentioned) and Garford in tallying the one millionth vehicle in 1926.

Richard Quinn
    past editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Richard, Such interesting & historical figures on Studebaker assembly over the years. I figure from your overall figures that nearly io,ooo units were CKD assembly here in Australia from the twenties till August 1966.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Is there documentation extant that they didn't include the 1902-1911 vehicles in the first million tally?

Comment

Richard; I'm the one who started the original thread on Studebaker production. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for, and I not suprised you were the one who had that knowledge. BTW, we met years ago and you sold me that cool US Steel ad from 1962 with the GT Hawk and vintage cars in the background. Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I'm not familiar with the number "1,00,000." Is it 100,000 with an extra comma or 1,000,000 with a zero missing?

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

quote:I'm not familiar with the number "1,00,000." Is it 100,000 with an extra comma or 1,000,000 with a zero missing?
            My guess is one million.

Chris Pile
            Editor: The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Would electric wagons, 1902-1912 count? Still looking for info on the model 25 , probably one of the FIRST HUNDRED 'cars' Studebaker ever built!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Using that date and adding up the subsequent years I came up with a total number of 6,841,438 vehicles between 1902 and 1966.
                The world's current population is approximately 6,890,700,000 according to Wikipedia, which would mean about one Studebaker for every 1000 of the Earrth's population had they all survived. Not a bad figure at all for a small, independent car company!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                  Is there documentation extant that they didn't include the 1902-1911 vehicles in the first million tally?
                  The Studebaker factory release that Richard quoted, states; "...the one millionth gasoline propelled car built under the Studebaker name exclusively." This means that EMF, Garford, electric vehicles and trucks were not included in the tally. I would also extrapolate that perhaps trucks were not included in the later million mile marks recognized.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

well i,am wounder where the car is today and the coulor too. richard do you have a 3/4 veiw of the car and can one by a copy , cheers thank you . raymond wise.
                    rawise

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      The Studebaker factory release that Richard quoted, states; "...the one millionth gasoline propelled car built under the Studebaker name exclusively." This means that EMF, Garford, electric vehicles and trucks were not included in the tally. I would also extrapolate that perhaps trucks were not included in the later million mile marks recognized.
                      The reason I probably asked that back in 2009 was the "apparently" in Richard's inference at the end. As he said, we don't really have all the answers to those questions. There certainly were early gas propelled cars made, like the purple Studebaker-Garford that we have in the Crawford Auto & Aviation Museum here in Cleveland, so I wondered if there were any other, later documents excluding all previous gas propelled cars built under the shared Studebaker name for the total number.

Seems odd now that they would exclude those many early production numbers in 1926 embracing only the exclusive Studebaker named vehicles. Didn't they later boast how many years they had been building cars and that those early years certainly seem to be included? I thought in 1952 they made a huge deal about the 100 year anniversary of building transportation: 50 (and more) in horseless, 50 in automobiles. Maybe in 1926 they wanted to distance themselves from giving those other companies any credit. That makes some sense for company pride. Still many unanswered production number questions out there.

Near 7 million with "wiggle room" are pretty good numbers for an independent through many turbulent times. Quality over quantity, indeed.
                      Last edited by barnlark; 12-30-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

This thread reminds me of Ford with the different counts including autos and then autos and tractors. I'm thinking something like 100,000,000 and 150,000,000 in 79.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          This Standard Six Sport Roadster is the one millionth gasoline propelled car built under the Studebaker name exclusively. Vice president Paul G. Hoffman drove the car from the factory to the Administration Building where this photo, showing A. R. Erskine giving his approval of the car, was taken. Prior to 1911, when Mr. Erskine came to the corporation, cars were made under the names of E.M.F., Studebaker E.M.F., Garford, as well as the Studebaker electric.

Apparently then they did not include the Electrics and E.M.F, Flanders (though not mentioned) and Garford in tallying the one millionth vehicle in 1926.
                          Including EMF's and Flanders into the total would still be open to debate; especially when an owner was able to order a new 'Studebaker' grille emblem when he furnished his name and 'car number'. Did Studebaker revise their records when one did so?

Craig

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of a body tag from early cars or even wagons?? 1900-1906 ....

Comment

I was thinking about those numbers too. I don't have enough facts in my brain to answer many of them, but you would think that horse carriages would be included in those numbers even if they started counting after 1902. I don't know how many car companies besides Studebaker made horse carriages and cars at the same time. I know Mitchell started out as a horse carriage company, not quite sure if they built carriages after that time. The market for horse drawn vehicles was small, so was Studebaker the only manufacturer providing those vehicles until 1919. Sorry to ask more questions, but I'm curious.
                              Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X