Tranny conversion, 700R4 to Champion eng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny conversion, 700R4 to Champion eng

Does anyone know of a source for a kit to install a HD 700R4 to the champ 6 engine? Either the 170 or the 190. Prefer the '55 and later.
    I think this would make a tremendous combination and would like to try it. If there is no kit, Does anyone know of any efforts to create one? If not I may just give it a go to create a kit.
    Thanks
    Ken Michael

There are three possibilities
    Myers in Duncan Falls, OH
    Cathcart in Connecticut or
    Steel-Tech in Marion, IL

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

For what it's worth..that trans. and that engine don't make a good combination in my opinion.

The gear ratio spread between first and second is too much for a low powered engine.

A much better choise is the T-200-4R.
      It's got a much more even gear spread, so you don't have to wind first gear then lug second gear like the 700. The overdrive is slightly deeper also.
      A good stock rebuild will hold the power of a good small block and "can" hold over 600hp when rebuilt correctly.

Something to think about.

Just my nickles worth.

Mike

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kenmike2

Does anyone know of a source for a kit to install a HD 700R4 to the champ 6 engine? Either the 170 or the 190. Prefer the '55 and later.
        I think this would make a tremendous combination and would like to try it. If there is no kit, Does anyone know of any efforts to create one? If not I may just give it a go to create a kit.
        Thanks
        Ken Michael
        One of the frequent posters @ studebaker truck talk (Mark Carson?) has installed a 700r4 behind an OHV 170 in his 2R5.
        He is on here as "007" This is a quote from a post from this past July.
        "Yes I have the smaller 700R GM transmission from a V6 Camaro on my OHV six which is in my 49 Stude truck. This is another story why the OHV six is in my truck. I machined a plate that adapts the 700R to the OHV six. Also from experience the plate is different for the flathead six. From experience there are a few drain plugs and bolt holes that are different. I am using the Chevy flywheel redrilled and a strengthening collar to bolt this together. The stock inspection cover for the transmission has to be modified since the starter is now on the driver side. I am using a Honda starter. I have been in conversation with a Frank Ambrosio from New York about this adapter and he is very interested as well. For the past several months I have not been able to devote as much time to this project however I have driven about 2000 miles without any trouble. I would like to drive about 5000 miles to ensure this is a success. I have done some preliminary quotes for mass production and they vary from $500 to $800 which includes the starter. Maybe offshore but I like the idea of having it made either in Canada or in the States.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hTerms=OHV,six,

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

They do not make a kit to mount a up dated transmission to a 6.

Comment

I know Steel Tech does not do a 6 to turbo hydromatic. There was a big stink about that several years ago.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I wasn't here then. What was the stink about. I've not had good luck with the quality/fit of Steel Tech's parts lately. Years ago I used them and had very good things to say about them.
              Regards
              Ken Michael

Comment

Ken I have not bought anything from STeel Tech in a long time but my stuff that I have gotten years ago also was fine.

Apparently, the "stink" was that someone bought a trans adapter kit thinking that it would work on a Stude 6 and it didn't and I don't believe was ever advertised that way. Nonetheless the buyer had a hissy and claimed that that the kit was sold to him to fit a Stude 6. This to my knowledge was a one time deal and have not heard about it since.

Steel Tech has had a mixed reputation as of the last few years to say the least and this was another log on the fire. I only got this third handed so there may have been more to it than this. I don't know.

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I tried all three. no go. I am doing the same swap only a 200-4R to the 170..........i'm working on it.......:-)

Comment

I totally agree, my 53 is running at least 4.10 gears

Comment

Originally posted by Transtar60 View Post
                      One of the frequent posters @ studebaker truck talk (Mark Carson?) has installed a 700r4 behind an OHV 170 in his 2R5.
                      He is on here as "007" This is a quote from a post from this past July.
                      "Yes I have the smaller 700R GM transmission from a V6 Camaro on my OHV six which is in my 49 Stude truck. This is another story why the OHV six is in my truck. I machined a plate that adapts the 700R to the OHV six. Also from experience the plate is different for the flathead six. From experience there are a few drain plugs and bolt holes that are different. I am using the Chevy flywheel redrilled and a strengthening collar to bolt this together. The stock inspection cover for the transmission has to be modified since the starter is now on the driver side. I am using a Honda starter. I have been in conversation with a Frank Ambrosio from New York about this adapter and he is very interested as well. For the past several months I have not been able to devote as much time to this project however I have driven about 2000 miles without any trouble. I would like to drive about 5000 miles to ensure this is a success. I have done some preliminary quotes for mass production and they vary from $500 to $800 which includes the starter. Maybe offshore but I like the idea of having it made either in Canada or in the States.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hTerms=OHV,six,

3E38
                      4E2
                      4E28
                      5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28

59 Lark
                      etc
                      Have you progressed any more on this adapter for the flathead 170?? Honda starter is interesting, most v8 kits use a ford starter with the 168T GM flexplate. Thanx for the info

Comment

I just spoke with my machinest who is a long time Studebaker person. I am getting ready to convert a 289 adaptor plate to fit a 245 stude big 6. If someone is doing this please let me know of who and phone number.

Comment

Try
                          Bob Bendsten
                          Bendsten's Transmission Adapters
                          13603 Johnson St.
                          Ham Lake. Mn. 55304
                          (763) 767-4480

Klif
                          55 Speedster/Street Machine
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

He was the first person I called. Bendsten's wanted me to ship my engine which would cost big dollars to ship. Also, he wanted $750.00 to $1500 dollars to do the work. I am not going to give a person my engine without knowing the real cost to do. Jon Myers thinks that we can engineer the 289 adapter plate to fit our application.

Comment

A 170 flathead adapter to a 200R sounds like the answer to prayers of many older truck owners!! I mean old trucks, not (necessarily) their owners. I would be very interested in hearing more as it evolves.
                              Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                              61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                              Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                              Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                              X