51 Commander Hill Holder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Commander Hill Holder Question

Good evening. I have a chance to buy a 51 Commander 232 V8 auto, but they guy says the only issue is the hill holder occasionally does not want to release. Is this a significant issue, and can I easily disconnect it until I can get it properly repaired? What happens if it does not release? Am I stuck at the light and have to call a tow?

My only previous Stude experience was fixing up a 62 Lark Deluxe V8 3-speed back in 1988-90, but I've always wanted a Bulletnose.

My end goal is to stay as stock as possible, but have AC and a decent radio in a Bulletnose. Has anyone ever put AC in either a V8 or 6-cyl after converting to 12 volts? I found a kit in Turning Wheels to adapt a modern (hidden) radio to work through the factory radio.

Regards,
    Clarence

The automatic would have anti-creep, not hill holder. Hill holder was on the standard transmission. Disconnecting the leads to the master cylinder unit should bypass the system.

Use the "SEARCH" tab in top right corner of this page to find retrofit info on A/C. I highly recommend RayLin Restoration Tech pages. He specifically addresses the issue. Here's a quick link:

This website is for sale! raylinrestoration.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, raylinrestoration.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Finding an evaporator that will fit under the '51 dash will be a task but it's been done before.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great, thanks Brad. I'm looking forward to my next Stude and the advice helps a lot.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

The anti-creep system on auto cars was more of a sense of security thing for folks who were wary of newfangled automatic trannys. Goofy really - because you could just keep your foot on the brake until you were ready to go! But ya gotta remember - this was an era when auto transes were a new thing and so Stude and others had this anti-creep solenoid to reassure folks that their cars wouldn't creep into the intersection while they dozed at a stoplight![|)] As Brad says, you can disconnect the wires (so it can't be actuated) or you could just bypass it with a replacement brake line.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Biggs, I much appreciate it.

Regards,
          Clarence

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cbonner757

Good evening. I have a chance to buy a 51 Commander 232 V8 auto, but they guy says the only issue is the hill holder occasionally does not want to release. Is this a significant issue, and can I easily disconnect it until I can get it properly repaired? What happens if it does not release? Am I stuck at the light and have to call a tow?

My only previous Stude experience was fixing up a 62 Lark Deluxe V8 3-speed back in 1988-90, but I've always wanted a Bulletnose.

My end goal is to stay as stock as possible, but have AC and a decent radio in a Bulletnose. Has anyone ever put AC in either a V8 or 6-cyl after converting to 12 volts? I found a kit in Turning Wheels to adapt a modern (hidden) radio to work through the factory radio.

Regards,
            Clarence
            If the previous owner thought the hill holder was hanging up, your car could just be suffering from the brakes grabbing and hanging up just because they are corroded and in need a good servicing. I also have a '51 with the same engine and transmission like yours. My anti-creep is disconnected. However, until I went through and rebuilt my brakes, they would grab and not release from time to time...especially after sitting for long periods. If you are still using conventional brake fluid...the pistons can develop a lot of corrosion and gunk on the back side under the rubber dust cups. When this happens the pistons tend to bind, grab, and not release after you lift off the pedal. A through inspection is in order.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks, John. I ended up buying another 51 Champion 4-door a bit closer to home. It does not have that problem, but I will have other questions for the forum as I dig into this car. A nice condition car that is mechanically pretty original and runs nice but with a fairly amateur 20-foot paint job and nice but non-original interior. Which is okay for me, since it will be a daily driver to work and I'll drive it to SDC meets and local cruise nights.

Regards,
              Clarence

Comment

Working...
              X