wiring harness splice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness splice

I am in the process of rewiring my car ( a 1950 Champion ) and am building my own wiring harness and as I was removing the old wires I came across a few splices that look like this in the back of the car ( tail / brake lights ) , are these factory splices or something a PO might have done ?

thanks in advance , Blake

Here is what the wires that go to the junction block on the fire wall looked like

And this is what it is looking like now , much better

Blake, I have seen splices (guess that is technically a "junction") like that before, most recently on my '54 sedan harness.

Your redone harness is looking great!!

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I just rewired my commander. I just have to say darn nice job! I bought a new harness would you make me a new OD harness?

It looks freaking great I dont have the patience for such work.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
      18 years in the tattooing biz
      I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!
      And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
      Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281
      27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Could be a stock splice, its hard to tell. I'm in the process of making my own harness for my '51, so I understand the confusion. I'm assuming that everything in my wire harness is factory, so that's what I'm going by, if its wrong, I'll know soon enough.

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer

I just rewired my commander. I just have to say darn nice job! I bought a new harness would you make me a new OD harness?

It looks freaking great I dont have the patience for such work.

Owner of a 1950 4 door Commander

I'll Tattoo you anytime!

you can find me at

Lucky Linda's Body Art 952-445-3281
          18 years in the tattooing biz
          Nice Bullet! Everyone should have one!

1951 Commander Land cruiser

Comment

most likly a factory splice, in fact they still do the same thing today on new cars

ap

Comment

Hi Edsel
              Thanks for admiring the wire harness I am making. I know it takes a little patience but you can do it ,If you go one step at a time.
              I have been a little busy on some other projects the last few weeks so I have had to take a little break from working on the Champion I hope to get some time next weekend.
              If you are interested in making your overdrive wiring harness its not that bad. Here is one way that you can do without taking the harness out until you have built a new one , before you disconnect any wiring , number each wire in the OD harness then draw a diagram on how it looks. Diagram where each wire terminates from the kick down switch , OD relay on down to the OD unit itself make sure you number each wire on your diagram ( you can take a look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual if that helps clarify it somewhat, but I would still make my own drawing ) then take a piece of string and use it to measure the length of the existing wires in the harness as it sits now under the car on up to the engine compartment I would measure from the longest point to make sure you get enough wire ( I looked in the manual and tried to stay close to the original colors but I don't know if they make a black and oak colored wire that is easy to come by ) then once you have the lengths ,you can get the amount of wire that you will need and have everything ready - terminations ,heat shrink tube that way you can build your harness by taking your time over a weekend or two if you need to and you don't have to disconnect your existing harness until you are good and ready . Once you get the harness built you will need to make sure that you number each new wire in the new harness the same as the old wire in the old harness . When you finally take the old harness out you can lay it side by side with the new one to check for accuracy and make any adjustments before you install it. One more thing it is a good idea that when you pull the old harness out leave a string in the same route that each harness and wire goes that way when you put it back you will know exactly how they are routed.
              Hope this helps, good luck and have fun
              Blake
              Oh PS make sure you disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work on the car

Comment

Working...
              X