This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel cover vinyl inserts

I received the wheel cover vinyl inserts today. They are available direct from Stuart Tritt rimpres@megavision.com Cost is $30 to your door.

These are not "water transfer decals". They are essentially "peal and stick" labels. The instructions say you can use soapy water or windex on the larger pieces. I found you need to use it on ALL the pieces. The soap gives you a little "wiggle room" to position the vinyl. Without it, you get one shot (and I'm not that good). You want to use as little soapy water as possible. Not enough and the vinyl won't slide. Too much and it floats. I just wet my finger with the soapy water and wipe it on the surface where the vinyl will go.

It took me 2 hours to do the first cap. I think I can get it down to 1 1/2 hours.

Here's a before and after....

Hard to get pictures of shiny things with a flash.

I'm very pleased with the outcome. It looks good []. We'll see if they stick.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

On a driver car, they won't last. On my 61 lark they lasted about 2,800 miles - some of those wet puddle miles. For the time involved installing the vinyl pieces I perfer to just to detail paint the hubcaps.

Kent

Comment

On a driver car, they won't last. On my 61 lark they lasted about 2,800 miles - some of those wet puddle miles. For the time involved installing the vinyl pieces I perfer to just to detail paint the hubcaps.

Kent

Comment

I put some on my 1962 hawk and they made a huge difference. I think it took me about 1 hour per wheel cover. I had some trouble with a few pieces and had to make sure to go over them a couple times and try to make sure there were no lifted spots (and they never all go away). The soapy water is an absolute necessity to get things positioned right.

I did them a year ago and they are all still on, but I probably only drove the car about 400-500 miles all year. I hate masking, so even if they don't last forever I don't regret buying them.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I put some on my 1962 hawk and they made a huge difference. I think it took me about 1 hour per wheel cover. I had some trouble with a few pieces and had to make sure to go over them a couple times and try to make sure there were no lifted spots (and they never all go away). The soapy water is an absolute necessity to get things positioned right.

I did them a year ago and they are all still on, but I probably only drove the car about 400-500 miles all year. I hate masking, so even if they don't last forever I don't regret buying them.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I used them on my 62 ragtop. I used tweezers to "place" them, and no soapy water. Takes 30 min to 1 hour per cover.

I also had some vynil on the original center caps on my 52, they were on 4-5 years or so.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

I used them on my 62 ragtop. I used tweezers to "place" them, and no soapy water. Takes 30 min to 1 hour per cover.

I also had some vynil on the original center caps on my 52, they were on 4-5 years or so.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

I have to say it, Dick you do good work!!! Really looks nice!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I have to say it, Dick you do good work!!! Really looks nice!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

See you didn't need to worry about that center silver color after all. The best thing is it kept you out of mischief for several hours.

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

See you didn't need to worry about that center silver color after all. The best thing is it kept you out of mischief for several hours.

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

I have to say it, Dick you do good work!!!
                        Actually, I do SLOW work [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

I have to say it, Dick you do good work!!!
                          Actually, I do SLOW work [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

Yep, I was wrong about that silver center, Brian. It WAS included in the kit.

...and they are STILL keeping me out of mischief! [B)]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by chocolate turkey

Yep, I was wrong about that silver center, Brian. It WAS included in the kit.

...and they are STILL keeping me out of mischief! [B)]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X