Power Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Seat

I am considering the purchase of a 56 Power Hawk that is in very good condition except for the fact that the front bench seat does not move forward and back. The seller said that a mechanic broke the power seat motor, and just bolted the seat in one position. This is a deal-breaker, unless it is an easy fix. How hard is it to repair the seat, either to install a new motor or to convert to a manually-operated seat?

Shouldn't be a deal breaker if everything else is ok. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Shouldn't be a deal breaker. If the power seat motor is truly broken, I do not understand why the seat would be bolted in one position. It shouldn't be a major repair, in any event. I would try to repair the power mechanism. Power seats are not that common in Studebakers.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

And worst case a manual seat should not be hard to locate. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I had a Golden Hawk 400 (verified by the serial number) that had the power seat and windows. Worked, too! Sold it to concentrate on my Avanti, as it would have required a full restoration, in about 1994...Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

I had a Golden Hawk 400 (verified by the serial number) that had the power seat and windows. Worked, too! Sold it to concentrate on my Avanti, as it would have required a full restoration, in about 1994...Russ Farris
            I remember that car! Do you know where it is now?

Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hey Paul, sold it to a guy in PA who was an church organ restorer, along with a 57 GH parts car that still had the blower...that's the last I heard of it. Isn't there a GH 400 registry? Russ Farris
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

My 1957 Golden Hawk also had both power windows and power seat. I had a friend that had three 1955 Speedsters at the same time, two with power windows (and seat, I think).

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have 57 golden hawks that has power windows and had power seat but seat is missing, special bracket is still on the floor along with the power wire...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                  canbstudebakers-

]
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Working...
                  X