Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of oil and STP...

This is the last paragraph of Service Bulletin SB-201 dated 7/1/64-

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

7000 RPM in 99.99% of all Stude engines would make what hair I have left stand on end![:0]
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The highest rpm we ever saw with the R3 in the Plain Brown Wrapper was 6,800. That was early in our PSMCDR racing, when we tried a 4.89 rear end one year. Ted said the engine handled it nicely and was still pulling well at that rpm. But turning 6,800 regularly exceeds my bravery limit, not to mention that it causes lots of blower belt slip, so we went to 4.55 gears for subsequent years.

A couple of years ago, The Wrapper was paired with a nice running, good looking Buick GS 455 Stage I. After beating it twice in a row, we had a friendly conversation with the Buick owner during which he asked what rpm we were turning at the traps. When I said "About 6,300" his face turned pale. He said "My engine is all done at 5,300." If I remember correctly, the Buick 455 has a stroke of 4.25", so it's no wonder anything North of 5,000 gave him pause.

George

george krem
      george krem

Comment

How about that non detergent oil recommendation? Nuthin' like that stuff to get the sludge buildup process off to an early start. LH
        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

How about that non detergent oil recommendation? Nuthin' like that stuff to get the sludge buildup process off to an early start. LH
          Actually, that's SOP for most older engine type re-builds. And for piston aircraft engines, it's a must.

Non-detergent doesn't have the low-friction qualities of detergent oil, which is what you want - the quicker the rings break-in, the better. Using detergent oil runs the risk of glazing the cylinder walls and you'll never get to rings to seat. The break-in oil won't be in there long enough for any sludge build-up. Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
          X