Lark Gas Mileage - Fact or Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Gas Mileage - Fact or Fiction

I've read on occasion several Lark owners boasting about the 20-30 miles per gallon they get with their Larks. Can anyone vouch for this?
    Is this high mileage in the 6 cylinder only or the V-8 as well?
    Does anyone in here have some figures on what mileage they are getting with their V-8's and the 6 cylinders?
    I'm amazed that these high miles per gallon numbers were being reached back in the 60's
    Was the high gas mileage obtained with the Stude engines only or did the GM engines that were used in Canada do as well?
    What was the reason for this good mileage?
    Lastly. Was there any one specific year for the Lark that was better than any other?
    I ask all this because I'm looking at getting a Lark for a daily driver. If anybody has one on the "Right" coast I would be interested in taking a look at it.
    Heck, if the numbers are true, 20-30mpg is better than some new cars are getting now days.

I am not sure that I believe 30 MPG, but I've heard enough people claim 20+ MPG from a V-8 that that seems in the realm of doability. I'd probably look for a 3/OD car for best mileage, and do some careful tuning of the carburetor.

Now you're going to ask me how to tune the carburetor. Darned if I know. I'll be on a learning curve just as soon as I get off my buttocks and order a strip kit for my new AVS.

This is just my personal opinion, but I couldn't drive a six cylinder Studebaker daily unless it were a 194 Ch*vy motor. They work, but in city traffic, having monster torque on demand is definitely a Good Thing(tm) now if my commute were all highway in light traffic I'd consider it.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I am not sure that I believe 30 MPG, but I've heard enough people claim 20+ MPG from a V-8 that that seems in the realm of doability. I'd probably look for a 3/OD car for best mileage, and do some careful tuning of the carburetor.

Now you're going to ask me how to tune the carburetor. Darned if I know. I'll be on a learning curve just as soon as I get off my buttocks and order a strip kit for my new AVS.

This is just my personal opinion, but I couldn't drive a six cylinder Studebaker daily unless it were a 194 Ch*vy motor. They work, but in city traffic, having monster torque on demand is definitely a Good Thing(tm) now if my commute were all highway in light traffic I'd consider it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I get 24 mpg with my 54 champion with 170 six.

Respectively my 61 cruiser, 259 W auto trans and 3.31 rear gets about 19-20 mpg.

Kent

Comment

I get 24 mpg with my 54 champion with 170 six.

Respectively my 61 cruiser, 259 W auto trans and 3.31 rear gets about 19-20 mpg.

Kent

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nate,
            I'm amazed at what some of the guys are claiming for their MPG for these cars.
            I'm thinking why not buy a Lark in decent condition and save a couple thousand in up front purchase cost (compared to a newer one) and also in cost of operation.
            By the way, I checked out your web page and notice the red Lark you have pictured. Is that your car? Looks great!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nate,
              I'm amazed at what some of the guys are claiming for their MPG for these cars.
              I'm thinking why not buy a Lark in decent condition and save a couple thousand in up front purchase cost (compared to a newer one) and also in cost of operation.
              By the way, I checked out your web page and notice the red Lark you have pictured. Is that your car? Looks great!

Comment

Studebaker V8s most of the time got better gas mileage than their 6s.

My friend has a 54 Conestoga station wagon with a 1964 V8 (259) and overdrive transmission. He regularly averages 23-24 mpg at 70 miles an hour on the highway.

I'm currently driving a 66 Cruiser with Chevy 283 and an automatic. Since I put on an Edelbrock I regularly get close to 19 mpg at freeway speeds (70-75 mph). If I would drive sanely I'm sure I can break the 20 mpg barrier.

Comment

Studebaker V8s most of the time got better gas mileage than their 6s.

My friend has a 54 Conestoga station wagon with a 1964 V8 (259) and overdrive transmission. He regularly averages 23-24 mpg at 70 miles an hour on the highway.

I'm currently driving a 66 Cruiser with Chevy 283 and an automatic. Since I put on an Edelbrock I regularly get close to 19 mpg at freeway speeds (70-75 mph). If I would drive sanely I'm sure I can break the 20 mpg barrier.

Comment

My 63 Cruiser was originally equipped with the 289 and straight
                    3-speed trans. I don't know what the rear ratio was.

I replaced the trans with a 3-speed w/overdrive. I did not change the rear. I got 28 mpg on trips where I averaged 55 mph. Hard to believe!

I checked the speedometer/odometer for accuracy. I duplicated the results several times.

I seldom drive the highway at that speed and, under normal conditions, the consumption increased.

Unfortunately, that Cruiser is no longer extant but the engine is, and will soon be pushing a FOM in my 53 Coupe.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My 63 Cruiser was originally equipped with the 289 and straight
                      3-speed trans. I don't know what the rear ratio was.

I replaced the trans with a 3-speed w/overdrive. I did not change the rear. I got 28 mpg on trips where I averaged 55 mph. Hard to believe!

I checked the speedometer/odometer for accuracy. I duplicated the results several times.

I seldom drive the highway at that speed and, under normal conditions, the consumption increased.

Unfortunately, that Cruiser is no longer extant but the engine is, and will soon be pushing a FOM in my 53 Coupe.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      33 Rockne 10
                      51 commander Starlight
                      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Let's be honest here. IF you drive to where you can get that 20-something MPG, you're gonna get honked at and passed quite a bit.
                        Drive along with today's traffic (and I'm talkin' not JUST with the cruise control and OD kicked in at 55 on level ground) and you'll do WELL to average 18-19MPG.
                        No one that I know drives their Studes as tho they were contestants in the Mobilgas Economy Runs!

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Let's be honest here. IF you drive to where you can get that 20-something MPG, you're gonna get honked at and passed quite a bit.
                          Drive along with today's traffic (and I'm talkin' not JUST with the cruise control and OD kicked in at 55 on level ground) and you'll do WELL to average 18-19MPG.
                          No one that I know drives their Studes as tho they were contestants in the Mobilgas Economy Runs!

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Let's be honest here. IF you drive to where you can get that 20-something MPG, you're gonna get honked at and passed quite a bit.
                            Oh so true!

But it is a testament to our favorite marque; the 232 V-8 will run 80 mph for hours on end and still deliver that 15-16 mpg. In 1951, we didn't have the roads available to do what Studebaker engineers achieved.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Let's be honest here. IF you drive to where you can get that 20-something MPG, you're gonna get honked at and passed quite a bit.
                              Oh so true!

But it is a testament to our favorite marque; the 232 V-8 will run 80 mph for hours on end and still deliver that 15-16 mpg. In 1951, we didn't have the roads available to do what Studebaker engineers achieved.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X