PDA

View Full Version : Well, the plugs finally went...

studeclunker
08-20-2006, 10:14 AM
The freeze plugs on my '63 engine (just came out of the '62 sedan to go back into the '63 Daytona wagon) finally failed. Thankfully not when driving the car. Course it's been running pretty hot lately. Gee, I wonder why?

Thanks for the advice earlier. With the engine out of the cars it will be easier to get the plugs in.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

PackardV8
08-20-2006, 06:37 PM
take the time to remove all core plugs and drain plugs. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours getting very messy and very wet. Come prepared with screw drivers, coat hangers, air pressure and water pressure to flush the block completely. It won't run hot any more.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

studeclunker
08-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Yep!:D Just how I liked it (when I was three). Messy and wet. Three showers today. All of the mud is out of the block. The two back plugs were completely blocked with it. Typical. Oddly, the two back plugs were in the best shape. In fact, they were in fairly good shape. Buggers to get out!

Now all I have to do is replace the return line on the power steering and I'm in business. The ruddy thing split the first day after I installed a new one. So I'm going to jerry-rig the old one and see if that works.

I'm looking forward to getting this wagon going. It's the only Lark I have that has NO holes in the floor. None whatever. Makes it hard to believe its a Studebaker.

Hey PackardV8!
All Cruisers came with a v8! And I believe it was always a 289.

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

studegary
08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Hey PackardV8!
All Cruisers came with a v8! And I believe it was always a 289.

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

1961 Cruisers came standard with a 259. The 289 was a rare option in '61 Cruisers.
1962-1964 Cruisers came standard with 289s (for domestic consumption).
1965-1966 Cruisers came with sixes or 283s.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)