X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1950 Champion owner

Hello,
    My Dad and I purchased a 1950 Champion recently, after dreaming of having one for many years, and have quite enjoyed tinkering on it thus far. We have rebuilt the front brakes, back ones had previously been done, and bled the system. Tomorrow we are going to bring the car to a local mechanic to see what he thinks needs to be done to it. He also has a 50 or 51 convertible. Is there anything in particular we should ask him to look into?
    Thanks for the forum, it has answered many questions already,
    Spence

I would probably ask for a general safety inspection including the fuel system and all the rubber items.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I would probably ask for a general safety inspection including the fuel system and all the rubber items.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I'd say if you guys are good enough to rebuild brakes, you're good enough to check the rest of the car over.

Is it running?

Has it sat for any length of time?

Let us know what state it is in and I'm sure we can put a list together for you.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd say if you guys are good enough to rebuild brakes, you're good enough to check the rest of the car over.

Is it running?

Has it sat for any length of time?

Let us know what state it is in and I'm sure we can put a list together for you.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

It is in running condition, we drive it around the subdivision some since we havn't gotten it inspected yet and consequently no license plates. It burns a bit of oil, but other than that the engine itself seems okay. The car was listed as being one that was driven frequently, but it seems that it couldn't have been driven much in its current state. It has been converted to 12v, but the 'runtz' things to the guages were fried. My main concern are the brakes, and lubrication. We got the brakes in much better shape (they had been overheating and dragging to the point of smoking) but they take an extra pump on the petal to get any results.
            Thanks for the rapid input,
            Spence

Comment

It is in running condition, we drive it around the subdivision some since we havn't gotten it inspected yet and consequently no license plates. It burns a bit of oil, but other than that the engine itself seems okay. The car was listed as being one that was driven frequently, but it seems that it couldn't have been driven much in its current state. It has been converted to 12v, but the 'runtz' things to the guages were fried. My main concern are the brakes, and lubrication. We got the brakes in much better shape (they had been overheating and dragging to the point of smoking) but they take an extra pump on the petal to get any results.
              Thanks for the rapid input,
              Spence

Comment

Welcome to the forum 1950Champ. I suggest you go to our home page at
                www.studebakerdriversclub.com and look under technical for the document
                entitled "Things to do after you bought that Studebaker". This is an excellent
                primer by Ingvar Vik and treats all major systems on the Studebaker. You can
                do all the tests yourselves and then, if necessary, bring in a mechanic.
                I have found that very few mechanics know anything now about Studebakers and you
                are better off, with forum help, to do it yourself at least up to the point that special
                tooling like valveseat resurfacing is needed. For sure, get the manuals from one of
                the parts suppliers. The 1950 is a neat car--if only first gear was synchronized
                I would drive mine every day.

1950 Champion Starlight
                1963 Hawk GT
                Santa Barbara
                CA
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Welcome to the forum 1950Champ. I suggest you go to our home page at
                  www.studebakerdriversclub.com and look under technical for the document
                  entitled "Things to do after you bought that Studebaker". This is an excellent
                  primer by Ingvar Vik and treats all major systems on the Studebaker. You can
                  do all the tests yourselves and then, if necessary, bring in a mechanic.
                  I have found that very few mechanics know anything now about Studebakers and you
                  are better off, with forum help, to do it yourself at least up to the point that special
                  tooling like valveseat resurfacing is needed. For sure, get the manuals from one of
                  the parts suppliers. The 1950 is a neat car--if only first gear was synchronized
                  I would drive mine every day.

1950 Champion Starlight
                  1963 Hawk GT
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA
                  The 1950 Champion Starlight
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

Working...
                  X