GH & Avanti Owners: Rescale Your Vacuum Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GH & Avanti Owners: Rescale Your Vacuum Gauge

As we know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

To wit: An industry advertisement in the July 20, 2009 Automotive News describes the new Ford Fusion Hybrid as having SmartGauge with EcoGuide.

This marvel is described thus: "an instrument cluster created to help the driver maximize fuel economy. Green leaves appear on the first-in-class LCD screen, rewarding the driver for good driving habits. More leaves mean more efficient driving. 'Real-time feedback that could turn everyday drivers into hypermilers."

For the most part, this sounds suspiciously like a glorified LCD vacuum gauge, a natural evolution of the standard-issue vacuum gauge on Golden Hawks, Packard Hawks, and Avantis.

So, owners of those Studebakers might want to consider acquiring little press-on green leaves to replace the numerical scale on the dials of those instruments. Larger green leaves would be toward the right of the scale, whereas smaller green leaves would be placed near the center of the scale.

On the negative (supercharger-boost) portion of the scale, increasingly-large crispy-brown burned leaves could replace the pounds of boost graduations.

Finally, at the far left of the scale, a little icon of a forest in full conflagration might be appropriate.

(Obviously, the new Ford Fusion Hybrid SmartGauge with EcoGuide has nothing on the instrumentation of 1950s and 1960s supercharged Studebaker Hawks and Avantis![}][^]) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I think that the vacuum gauge I bought will have a laughing Satan on one side and a sad angel on the other side

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My Kia Soul does not give me rewards, but it has a "ECO" green light that come on when you are getting the best mileage. Just for grins, I tried staying in the green for the first tank and got 32.6 MPG, and that's better then the 30 MPG highway sticker.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe a little graphic of a drowning polar bear on the boost side?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

LOL, Tom, I think you've watched too many Warner Bros. cartoons.[)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

How about Carroll Shelby on one side of the gauge and Al Gore on the other?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I like the green/brown analogy. No loss of animal life, strictly vegetarian.B.V.

Comment

Working...
              X