To Skytop, or not to Skytop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Skytop, or not to Skytop?

As a lot of you know, I have a roof off a 62 2dr. HT Daytona that was completely shot. I have a solid factory 4-speed Daytona body that I intend to make an R2 5-speed; and I had planned to put the Skytop roof on that.

I also have the same car with 259 Auto and P/S that's a pretty sweet little car. Engine's stuck and front fenders have rust, but the rest of the car is pretty nice- excellent frame and floors, perfect dash, door panels, and headliner. Once running this car would need seat covers, maybe carpet, fenders fixed, and paint.

Currently I'm stalled due to business finance concerns, but that doesn't mean I'm not planning. Lately I've been thinking about building the R2 with it's factory top, and putting the Skytop roof on the tamer version. My thinking is the open roof would be more enjoyable on that car, while the R2 car would have enough entertainment on board already. Of course, it might be really cool to have both the "muscle car" and the open top in one...

The 259 has a perfect headliner, and it would be a shame to mess with that; not to mention messing with all the other roof-related items that otherwise don't need any attention. But I'm picturing it in it's original Desert Tan with wide whites and white Skytop...[:X]

So you see my dilemma. Just for the fun of it, what would you do?

Here's the Tan car in question:

Not exactly an earth-moving decision, but might be fun to discuss

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I'd lean toward putting the skytop on the 259 car. With the nice options it already has, it would be a very nice car to cruise in with the open roof. The R2 car would be cool with a skytop too, but I like my muscle cars with closed tops. Not that I would kick one out of the garage or anything, but I think muscle cars lose a little something if they are in convertible form. It's just a little bit too much going on at once or something, I'm not sure what it is, just my opinion.

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

R2s are for going fast. Skytops are for enjoying the scenery.

Hilo votes to transplant the trick roof onto the 259. Too bad headliners are so fragile, but... oh well...

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Which one will you drive more in the inclement New York weather?
        I'd put the skytop on my summer only car.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Which one will you drive more in the inclement New York weather?
          I'd put the skytop on my summer only car.
          LOL! In NY EVERY Stude is a Summer only car[xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob, put the Skytop in the Daytona. It's not going to be original anyway so go out and enjoy the power and the scenery. Let's face it, power is seductive and you'll be in the Daytona every chance you get. Pop the top on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Bob,

R2 and "skytop". Just think of the sound of the SC with that roof open. Now that is great fun. Fix the 259 and move it on.

Comment

I agree with Swifster - put the Skytop in the car with the R2!!!

Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

put the sky top in the junk pile, has any one every had one that doesn't leak? what support will you have if put in the hard top no post support, now all you need is a large hole in the middle of your roof. I know I will get blasted for talking the way I feel but that's life, every one to their own , you like it Bob go for it but it is like building a clone of something that it is not. you saw the 56 golden hawk in Cedar Rapids with the really large sky top in it what a waste of a good 56 golden hawk, I have customs, clones, originals, junkers, ect. so do what ever you like and enjoy the project and the out come...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you Bob P. but I totally agree with you about installing the skyroof.

I'd leave the roof on the R2 solid and build that girl to the hilt.[^]

Put the hole in the parade car or the one that is seldom driven if you don't want to toss it.

High speed cars don't need tops that can't maintain their integrity if they end up on them.

Bob

Comment

There is a lot of concern about putting the R2 on it's roof. I supose it is possible. It is with anything. I think Bams said he was going use the R2 as a fun performance ride and not a racer. Also, it is not like giving it to an inexperienced driver. Remember Bams and Super Modifieds. Besides if you could always build a cage for it following the roof lines. Not like you be ruining a "one of" something.

Comment

Bob P., you make some good points; but be assured that I am under no illusion that it would be practical for any regular use. With either car, I'm talking a couple drives per week during the season, maybe not even every week, and then maybe 6 months out of the year. I'm sure they're leaky and noisy, and a PITA to use much. Same can be said for convertibles. My cars sit in the garage when the weather's not nice anyway; my convertibles usually spend the entire Summer with the top down, and don't go out if there's rain.

Still, I like the looks of an open Skytop, and love an open car for the occasional cruise. I looked several times at that Skytop GH; I loved the concept, but passed because of condition.

I think one or the other will get the roof for three reasons:

1. I like Skytops
                        2. I am able to change roofs correctly
                        3. I already have it, and paid a ton of money for it[:I]

I'm enjoying hearing what you all think. Keep 'em coming, and thanks![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Don't think I said anything about building a race car. My point about weakening the top was a realization that not many of us are going to add 300 HP or more to a vehicle and not enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I'm sure BAMS knows what can happen in an instant from his racing days.

We have had a few incidents recently with Studes not doing a great job of protecting there valuble contents in accidents.

All I'm saying is don't weaken the already tenuious ability of a great car to protect you in an unplanned event.

Bob

Comment

Bob P. - I have owned Studebaker Skytops for many years (more than ten). Neither leaked a drop, whether driving them or having them sit out in rain storms or in melting snow/ice for months at a time.

I have owned two Skytop hardtops and one Studebaker convertible and many other convertibles. I prefer a hardtop with the windows all "hardtoped" and the Skytop open to any of the convertibles, with the possible exception of my Corvette.

Bob A. - Put the Skytop in whatever you want. I think that the R2 will be the car that you will want to play with and enjoy the most, so I would say to put the Skytop in that one.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Put all of your coolest stuff in one car and get rid of the rest of the junk so you can concentrate on finishing one project.

Comment

Working...
                              X