Selling my '60 Marshal - Someday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling my '60 Marshal - Someday

After thinking it over and playing with it yesterday taking pics, I've decided to hold off on selling it. I scared off a potential buyer with the harsh realities of how much work the car needs, so I'm going to forge ahead and fix what I can with the parts I've already collected. I can make the car much more desirable if I take care of the big stuff, but by then I'll be so attached I probably won't want to sell it - darn.

I'm going to hurry up and write this before I change my mind. After walking around my fleet of projects again, I've decided that my two high school cars are more important to me than the rest. I'm in the same position that I've been in for years with to many cars and not enough time, money or storage to do what I want with any of them. I would love to believe that "someday" I would get to the Marshal, but I need to live for today. I've got seven other drivers, projects and parts cars that need to go also (not all Studebakers), so the Marshal's not alone.

I've contacted the people that have shown some interest and thought I should give the forum a heads up also. I plan on listing it on E-bay Thursday night with lots of pics (hopefully with a photobucket link with lots more) to show it's true condition. It will need a complete restoration and has rust issues. The frame is good and the rest is fixable. Included will be over $1000 worth of new and nos parts to help in the restoration. I won't get into all the details, but I plan on listing it with an opening bid of $3500 and no reserve.[:0]

I know, I know, I'm as big a CASO as the next guy and that's probably crazy money for a rusty Lark sedan, but I'm not going to give away a fairly rare, complete and documented car with a clear title. If it doesn't sell, I'll find a corner for it somewhere!

Skinny
    Watertown, SD
    Last edited by Skinnys Garage; 10-18-2010, 08:28 PM.
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Sorry, you have to give up on it, Scott. I hope your trip to CeRap and the drags didn't change your mind about it. We're not all that bad! Good luck with the sale.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I don't really look at it as giving it up, but sending it to a good home to be restored (I hope!). I'm a division 8 guy at heart and I had big plans to "play" with the little 2-door for years. Now, after finding out what the car is, I wouldn't dare do anything but a complete restoration. My trip to the drags and CeRap did help with my decision, but in a good way. I can't wait to finish my hot rodded '59 and take it to as many meets as I can and just enjoy myself. It's not gone yet and I know I'll regret it when it is, but I sold my '60 convert I must be serious!

Skinny
      Watertown, SD

Comment

It's definitely a special car, and would be a fun build. Wish I could take it on, being a Lark freak

One tip- don't waste your time or effort listing it on eBay with a high opening bid- that's not how an auction works! The only way to do it is to start with a low opener, like $200, and a reserve. You could add a BIN if you like. It's highly unlikely you'll get someone willing to start at $3500.

You have a far better chance of selling the car if bidders can get their feet wet at a low amount, and bid it up. Frequently you can get a bidding war, and see it go higher than you ever thought! I tell you this from extensive experience, and- seeing I can't buy it- in the interest of getting the most for it you can. Good luck!

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

What do you mean your not going to bid, Bob?[?] I thought it would be money in the bank if you found out it was for sale! All kidding aside, thanks for the encouragement and advice.

I'm pretty set in my ways when it comes to selling on e-bay though. To me the buy it now is what takes the auction out of the auction. I've had pretty good luck over the last eight years selling cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, vintage auto parts and even a nice boat![:0]

The reserve thing has never been my favorite, because of game players who hunt for the reserve, then retract there bid (entered wrong amount my a**!). I admit $3500 is probably going to be a tough sell for an opening bid, but if you consider all the parts it's actually less than $2500 for something that I've never seen offered on e-bay yet![]

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the little smiley faces in my listing too.....

Skinny
          Watertown, SD

Comment

Working...
          X