Improving radiator air flow? 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving radiator air flow? 1950 Champion

Would the airflow into the radiator be improved by cutting one or more holes in the front sheet metal piece that holds the hood latch? I tried to indicate in this photo that I would cut holes on the sides of the black-painted piece. Has anyone tried this?
    As long as I don't cut out such a big chunk that I make it too weak to support the hood latch, is there a downside to doing this? I recognize that this is supposed to form part of a tunnel or scoop, with the bullet at the front, but I think that this would improve airflow through the "eyebrow" openings versus the current set up. Your feedback, criticism and hare-brained theories are welcome.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I believe there could be some bypass around the radiator while moving and recirculation while sitting still. Our experience with the 1950 is that the cooling system is very adequate. We have several 100 F plus days a year.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I would think that the two huge holes below the bullet nose would flow sufficient amounts of air.

Comment

It may improve airflow through the eyebrows as you want, but to what effect? Air coming out through your new holes is not going through your radiator. If anything its just pressing up on your hood, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

Comment

What you might be better off doing is have the radiator core replaced with one with more fins per inch. That alone will greatly increase the cooling area and increase cooling efficiency. Nothing else on the car needs to be modified in any way and will look completely stock to anyone but a true expert.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Honestly, If you are having problems that are causing you to consider hacking your sheet metal...I really doubt that all the holes you could cut will correct the problem. I have seen similar situations attempted and even in Hot Rods with huge V8 engines crammed in the engine bays of cars never intended for such power plants, it is rare that "air flow" alone, will make up for a system with insufficient cooling capacity. If your engine is tending to run hot, you need to evaluate the entire system. The engine cooling passages could have an accumulation of debris causing flow restrictions. The same applies to the radiator core. Your fan belt could be slipping, or a water pump bearing could be dragging. The thermostat could be sticking or...partially clogged with some debris. It could be as simple as too thick a gasket on the water pump or a radiator hose separating internally and causing restricted water flow. All of these potential problems should be eliminated before you start hacking holes in your car.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Cutting holes in that section of the cover will only allow HOT engine air to recirculate thru the radiator...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
              55 President State Sedan
              70 Avanti (R3)
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I wouldn't cut those holes. That sheet metal creates a dam to seperate fresh incoming air directly to the top most part of the radiator. As mentioned earlier, the holes might let hot engine compartment recirculate and might also allow some part of the cooler fresh air to bypass the radiator completely.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Guys
                  Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a huge problem with overheating, but I thought that maybe this would help to improve cooling at slow sppeds and in parades. Your comments have led me to rethink this idea. Thanks again.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                  Holdrege NE
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

if anything has been changed in the cooling system it might be possible your fan is not positioned correctly in the fan shoud. to deep or not deep enough will cause the air to swirl between the rad. and fan thus slowing down cross-flow. as far as parades go you might want to consider adding an electric fan you can use as needed. itt can be mounted in front of rad. and push or if enough room between fan and rad and it would have to pull air

ap

Comment

Working...
                    X