Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about a Globe brand car lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about a Globe brand car lift?

I was recently talking to a fellow that is selling a 4 post car lift. He says that it is a "Globe" brand, and that it does not use cables or hydraulics. He says that it has large metal screws in each leg, that are connected by gears to a large motor. When the motor is turned on, the platform moves up or down the screws in each leg. I asked him if it has safety locks, and he says that it doesnt because if the motor is off, the platform cannot move because of the gear and screw combination.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? Is it some type of antique contraption? He says that he used it regularly until he bought a 2 post lift, which he prefers more.

I am just looking for something mainly for storage, only occasionally useing it to work on a car.

I'd appreciate all comments and/or information.

(from their history page)

On December 14, 2002 SVI acquires Globe Lift, one of the US's oldest and most well respected lift companies. Globe Lift was once the World's largest manufacturer of automotive lifts and Globe Lifts are still found and sold all over the World.

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

I was recently talking to a fellow that is selling a 4 post car lift. He says that it is a "Globe" brand, and that it does not use cables or hydraulics. He says that it has large metal screws in each leg, that are connected by gears to a large motor. When the motor is turned on, the platform moves up or down the screws in each leg. I asked him if it has safety locks, and he says that it doesnt because if the motor is off, the platform cannot move because of the gear and screw combination.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these? Is it some type of antique contraption? He says that he used it regularly until he bought a 2 post lift, which he prefers more.

I am just looking for something mainly for storage, only occasionally useing it to work on a car.

I'd appreciate all comments and/or information.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks. I saw that information, but I cant find anything specific about the screw-operated type of 4 post lift that this fellow has for sale.

He is selling it very cheap, and I am going to look at it in a couple of days, so I just wanted to find out if there was anything I should look for, and if it would be a safe lift.

Comment

I was wanting a lift for the exact same reason you are, storage and some work. I looked into all sorts of car lifts, I saw a few of those screw lifts in muffer shops, and your guy was right, if the motor doesn't turn the lift is locked in place. I haven't bought one yet, but decided to go for a two point lift, my reason - if you want to work on the brakes or whatever on a particular wheel, you still have to jack it up off the lift track.

Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
        X