PDA

View Full Version : Two bolt thermostat housing straight up?

pszikszai
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a need for a two bolt thermostat housing that has the outlet going straight up.
It is for a V8 259.
Presently I have a four bolt one mounted using two holes, which I have not tried yet and don't know if it will leak or not.
I have tried the local NAPA and the one they found was too small.
Please advise.

Paul

StudeRich
07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Why not just put the correct 4 bolt Water Manifold on the car with your straight up '51-'60 Sedan/Lark outlet, and everything will fit including the hoses?

There may not be such an animal!
If anyone had one, it would be AMC since Ramblers also used that '61-'64 Stude. 2 bolt 45 degree, left outlet.

StudeRich

JRoberts
07-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Years ago I had a thermostat housing crack while I was out of town. The engine was a 289. I went to a local Auto Zone and found that a housing for a small block Chevy would fit. Now, let me qualify that -- it did not have the indention for the thermostat. It worked well for me. Whether you can get one in the configuration you are looking for I do not know.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

N8N
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
What Joe said. SBC water necks are a bolt on and they use the same thermostat. if you can just get a local machinist to cut the groove in it for the thermostat (SBCs have the groove in the intake manifold) you will be good to go. Gasket is the same, too.

The earlier 4-bolt one does not have a lot of overlap on the late water manifold as the earlier cars used the larger, Chrysler thermostat - but the bolt holes do line up.

here's another option for you...

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/thermostat/thermostat.html

Now the way things worked out I too could have used the early water manifold, but I didn't know that at the time (I ended up using an aftermarket bracket set for the A/C rather than the factory ones; and I relocated the fitting for the heater hose to the back of the pass. side head.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

63t-cab
07-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Years ago my Father used the 4 bolt neck on a late model 289 and never had a leak.

Joseph R. Zeiger